Near Me Widget - Add a "Clear all search parameters" button

02-08-2019 12:34 PM
CherieSouthwick
New Contributor III

Currently the X button doesn't clear the search category previously selected from the drop down in the search bar. 

Add a button at the bottom right of the widget window titled "Clear" that clears all search parameters, including result category.

5 Comments
AllisonMuise1

I'm not able to reproduce this issue. Could you take a look at the updates to Near Me that were made this week and provide more information on the behavior you expect to see when clicking the 'x' in the search bar? I don't believe we've made any changes to the behavior of the 'x', but when I click it it clears all search results and returns the widget to it's original state.

CherieSouthwick

Hi Allison,

Thanks for looking into this. I have run some tests from my 10.6.1 Portal and do see that a few changes to the Near Me widget were made, however, the issue I have pointed out still exists. 

Here are the steps I'm taking and why the result is not fixed yet:

1) Open the Near Me Widget and select a category from the drop-down

2) Type in a search term and hit enter

3) The results are populated. Click the X to clear the results and ideally the search category as well.

4) Results after clicking the X: the search results were cleared but the search category was not cleared.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything about the remaining issue with the Near Me widget. Essentially, the issue with clearing the search category (from the drop-down) after clicking the X still remains despite the recent changes to the widget.

Thanks,

Cherie

AllisonMuise1

Thanks for the additional information and screenshots. I now understand what you mean by categories. We are deliberately not resetting the search source when the search term is cleared and have no plans to modify this behavior in a future release.

One option to help your users understand which layer they are searching against is to supply a value in the placeholder text parameter for each of your search sources. This value will display as a prompt in the search box when it is cleared of a search term.

CherieSouthwick

Thanks Allison, 

I agree that the Placeholder text will suffice. 

Cherie

ThomasButton

Agree a clear all option should be available like on any filter. When using the select location option rather than search by postcode (for e.g.) the you cannot seem to clear and reset. very frustrating