Build for WAB doesn't work, not "official" product from Esri.

10-17-2018 02:31 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Idea: make the Build for WAB work for WAB DE 2.9 and 2.10. Also I need it to work for 2.9 but if the env.js is set to use 3.26 API because of the severe popup geometry bug.

This does not work. Tech Support confirmed, both that it won't work if API is jumped up to 3.26 out of band from AB 2.9 (which was on 3.25 API) as well as it doesn't work for 2.9+ yet.

GitHub - gbochenek/esri-wab-build: Package used to build ESRI Web App Builder Apps for production. 

I have seen WAB load slowly, up to 15 to 30 seconds on machines lower than i7 or 8gb RAM and it is WAB loading JS and building DOM not services. I hope the Build can boost that initial loading speed.  I propose it be incorporated in to the product officially.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
ScottPrindle

Hello Kevin MacLeod,

Thank you for submitting this idea. Don't forget to vote for it!

It looks like you've already submitted an issue in the repository on Github hosting this tool. I believe this will be the quickest way to get a response from the author, as well as a potential fix to the existing tool for more recent versions.

For this idea, is it possible to hone in on the central request you are asking for? Would you like this ability to "build" a Web AppBuilder app for production as a feature of the existing Developer Edition? Or are you looking for this particular tool to be available with the current release of Web AppBuilder? What kinds of projects are you currently using this with? What causes your web apps to load so slowly (individual widgets or templates, large collections of widgets, large services, etc.), and how has this separate tool affected performance or workflows within your organization?

Thanks,

Scott

by Anonymous User

Hi Scott, I will have the app back in shape to look at it next week. Services are a separate part. But I can assure you, loading the JS and DOM is cumbersome on an older computer (like a Celeron, an i3, or similar; a couple gig RAM; it's a lot of machines out there, like ones hooked to podium projects) can be 15+ seconds. Now on a fast machine, it's only a few seconds. But I am thinking, Build may nail this. I've heard rave reviews from the Dev Conf. I am going to test the next version from George when they update it on Git.  I'll report back on findings from the field! Thanks!

by Anonymous User

Scott Prindle this is my app. Pretty simple app. It loads too slowly. Also Print loads very slow but I will make a separate thread on that, looks like it is slow to load the print service's templates list. It should load that in the background async I'd propose. Anyhow the overall load of the page is slow, even if it's cached. Even on a fast computer.

SAGIS Property Map Viewer  

I just tried the Builder again it is still failing at dijit-themes and still will not work.  (whole site with Builder installed -  https://cloud.sagis.org/BuildTestWAB29.zip)

broken on WAB 2.9 and up · Issue #58 · gbochenek/esri-wab-build · GitHub 

Can Esri officially integrate this project? I think it would make sense for most developers to Build their site and yet I think most are still probably deploying un-built sites to production.