Select to view content in your preferred language

Using annotation in the map service

07-14-2011 11:33 AM
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
Hopefully someone has a best solution to my problem.  My task is simple; I want to display annotation in the flex viewer app.  The problem is there doesn't seem to be an easy way.

If i use the coverage annotation in the .mxd, then create the map service; this would be ideal.  However, flex doesn't want to display the annotation.  To me this is the best solution, because the placement of the anno is correctly held.

My frustration is converting the annotation coverage to either a .shp, sde, or a personal gdb, which the flex app will recognize.  We i perform the conversions, I'll either lose the correct placement of some of the annotation or some of the annotation doesn't convert at all.  I've tried converting to a line and pt shp file, but keep getting undesirable results.

Am I missing something, or is the annotation a problem for others.

Thanx,
Eddie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MeghanMcGaffin
New Contributor
You need to convert your annotation to geodatabase annotation.  It should carry your placement over.
0 Kudos
eddiequinlan
Occasional Contributor
Hi meghan89,

Yes, I've tried that.  It works for mmmmmmm 95% of the annotation.  However, not all of the annotation retains it's correct placement.  I have since found, that using annotation with the $size explicitly set in the coverage gives good results.  I use two sets of annotation coverages; one with the $size set to a value, and one with the $size = null.  I was using the "null" size, and i think that's why I was having placement issues.  Setting the size in the .mxd on the "fly" seemed to bring up the placement issues.  Hopefully this may help others.

thanx,
Eddie
0 Kudos