Select to view content in your preferred language

Link to Georeferenced Plats

07-23-2012 07:39 AM
DianeBird
Occasional Contributor
Is there a way to view/link to a georeferenced jpeg of a plat in Flexviewer without adding it as an operational layer? 
I have over 300 plats and I do not want to add them all as operational layers in my published map.  I have tried to hyperlink to the URL, but it does not hold the georeferencing. Is there another tool or widget that would work better?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
EricVenden
Frequent Contributor
Do you have an "overall" layer that depicts where the plats are located?  We publish a plat boundary layer (one layer) that shows the locations of plats.  The attribute table contains the URL (http://.....) to the scanned plat (could be an image).

Hope this helps.
Eric V
Gurnee, IL

Is there a way to view/link to a georeferenced jpeg of a plat in Flexviewer without adding it as an operational layer? 
I have over 300 plats and I do not want to add them all as operational layers in my published map.  I have tried to hyperlink to the URL, but it does not hold the georeferencing. Is there another tool or widget that would work better?
0 Kudos
DianeBird
Occasional Contributor
Thank you for your suggestion... we have tried a similar method, but the hyperlink only brings in a floating "picture" in a different viewer. The plats need to act as if they are an operational layer, coming up one by one on a mouse over or click and maintaining their georeferenced points, without listing all of them in the legend.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor
I have something similar.  What I did was create an image catalog of all the images, then make a service from that.  set scale dependancies so they only draw at a level that I want them, then cache that and use as tiled service.

Works quite well.  I do, however, have to turn on/off the layer when needed, but it is only one operational layer this way, and since it's cached, it is plenty fast.  Suspect you could tie it to a hover event somehow.

Just a thought,

R_
0 Kudos
DianeBird
Occasional Contributor
Thank you for the suggestion. We considered using a separate file service, since we don't have an image service license yet.
We will give it a try.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor
We didn't see any advantage when we had the trial image server so we don't have that either.  I am just publishing the image catalog as a mapservice through ArcMap.

R_
0 Kudos
DianeBird
Occasional Contributor
How did you set the priority so the plat appears on top with a transparency?  We are in Flex 2.5.
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor
I did not need transparancy, so I cached with jpeg format.

If you need tranparancy, cache with a png or some other that supports that (if not too large, you could just load as dynamic and no need to cache).  I set the display options to display at all scales, then create the cache.  After the cache is created, I re-set the display scales and re-publish the service.

Then, I just load the service at the bottom of my operational layers.  that way, it is on top of everything once I set visible="true".

R_
0 Kudos
DianeBird
Occasional Contributor
Ok, thanks!  We'll give it a try.

DB
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Frequent Contributor
Just to throw in my .02 worth, i have published our Plats in a single service layer. Works great as long as you don't have overlapping plats. If they do overlap, you're hosed as far as selecting them individually or viewing them separately. When the Plats are far enough apart, it works great though.
0 Kudos