Flex Viewer 3.6 apps failing to load/display in browser

04-09-2014 03:43 PM
AmberWittner
New Contributor III
Hello,

I recently updated to ArcGIS Viewer for Flex version 3.6 from 3.0. My applications were view-able in the browser (chrome) through local host until I updated the builder. The operational layers load in the builder and I can see the application data load from server in the builder preview window.

I have double checked that the inetpub/wwwroot folders have the correct permissions set. All of my URLs are the same, used in the applications built on 3.0. I had no custom widgets installed.

Literally, everything was working in 3.0. I backed up all files and installed 3.6 and now the local URL loads a  blank/white page.

Any idea as to what I am missing web server technology wise? I had a web GIS class over two years ago, much has fleeted my brain. Any tips to try to get things back up - are greatly appreciated.

Much of the forum info i have scoured has been no help. Bjorn Svensen can you help?!:D

I am running ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 3.6 with Services from ArcServer 10.1. I have made sure my adobe air and flash files are up to date. (v13.0 of air and flash) I have IIS installed as well, and I am running on a university managed server machine with full permissions.

Thanks - Amber
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
I recently updated to ArcGIS Viewer for Flex version 3.6 from 3.0. My applications were view-able in the browser (chrome) through local host until I updated the builder. The operational layers load in the builder and I can see the application data load from server in the builder preview window.
Literally, everything was working in 3.0. I backed up all files and installed 3.6 and now the local URL loads a  blank/white page.

Hi Amber, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Are you saying that when using the application builder everything works fine, but when you go to a browser and a URL like http://yourservername/somefolder/yourappname/  then the screen shows nothing?

Does the same thing happen when you try it from a different computer?

If you are using Chrome/Firefox/IE and open the Developer Tools to look at the network traffic, what do you see?
0 Kudos
KyleChouinard1
New Contributor
I was running into this issue as well. It turned out my university's firewall was blocking external access to flash from my server.
0 Kudos
AmberWittner
New Contributor III
Hi Amber, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Are you saying that when using the application builder everything works fine, but when you go to a browser and a URL like http://yourservername/somefolder/yourappname/  then the screen shows nothing?

Does the same thing happen when you try it from a different computer?

If you are using Chrome/Firefox/IE and open the Developer Tools to look at the network traffic, what do you see?

Yes, the builder works fine, but when I launch the URL in a browser the screen shows nothing. I cannot view the application on another computer yet - it's view-able on local host only. I ran Chrome Connectivity Diagnostics and "the network connection appears to be operating correctly". Is there a specific Chrome Developer Tool you use for analyzing network traffic?
0 Kudos
AmberWittner
New Contributor III
I was running into this issue as well. It turned out my university's firewall was blocking external access to flash from my server.

I am only running my application on my local machine. External access (from another computer) has not been activated. Did your issue occur on your local machine, where you were using ArcGIS Viewer for Flex and previewing the URLs in a browser? Or were you having issues with pulling up the URL on any machine...not just your local?

Thank you for your input, I'm just trying to hash out all possible issues so when I deal with IT, they don't give me the run around.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Amber,

Did you add the Web Server (HTTP) exception to your windows firewall?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f139/windows-firewall-blocking-iis-93122.html
0 Kudos
AmberWittner
New Contributor III
Amber,

Did you add the Web Server (HTTP) exception to your windows firewall?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f139/windows-firewall-blocking-iis-93122.html

I am not sure this tip/fix will help though, as the builder 3.0 apps were loading just fine in the browser, 5 minutes before I upgraded toviewer version 3.6. Does 3.6 require different web server HTTP settings than 3.0?

Thanks again for the tip. I cannot access the Local Area Connection Advanced Settings (campus IT).
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Amber,

Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.6 is likely the issue. 6 Minor versions is a lot of difference and some people have even run into upgrade issue going from just one version difference. Have you tried just creating a new app in 3.6 App Builder to see if it is viewable?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Amber,

Without getting your campus IT to add that firewall exception you will not be able to viewer your viewer website beyond that local machine.
0 Kudos
AmberWittner
New Contributor III
Amber,

Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.6 is likely the issue. 6 Minor versions is a lot of difference and some people have even run into upgrade issue going from just one version difference. Have you tried just creating a new app in 3.6 App Builder to see if it is viewable?

Yes, and the new application built in 3.6 does load. Hurrah! Only - it's not so good news for the work done in 3.0 by those before me. I "upgraded" the original 3.0 application to 3.6. It will not load. Looks like I'll have to rebuild it from scratch.

Thank you.
0 Kudos