Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I update style for hosted vector tile layer?

Jump to solution
01-30-2023 09:02 PM
RolandHanssonDCR
New Contributor II

I'm editing a hosted (published) vector tile layer in VSTE. It has no Save option only Save As

How can I update the style (json) and apply it to the tile layer?

VSTE_Save.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Isaac_Viel_Esri
New Contributor

Hi @RolandHanssonDCR 

Thanks for reaching out.

There are a few different ways to share a style-edited Vector Tile Layer and, unfortunately, some limitations.

The first would be to share the Vector Tile Layer publicly from the item page. Once shared, someone from another Org can open that layer, save it to their own org, and then make their own edits. However, the original item needs to remain public for the new Vector Tile Layer to remain operable because it's dependent on the original layer's sprites.

The second would be download the style of the edited Vector Tile Layer from the item page. This will give you a root.json file that contains the map, sprites, styles definitions. The second org can then add this definition to an existing Vector Tile Layer. However, in order to work the original item needs to be public in order to access the sprite sheet, same as the first option.

The third is similar, but instead of sharing publicly, you'd share the edited Vector Tile Layer directly with the second org. Do you have org-to-org collaboration and sharing with the other org?

The final option would be open the styled layer in ArcGIS Pro. There is a link for this action in the item page on ArcGIS Online. This option will give you an item.pitemx file to create a new project in Pro and will add the vector tile layer chosen. You can then repackage the layer as a vector tile package (.vtpk) using the geoprocessing tools and share that item.

Hopefully that sheds some light on the process. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Isaac

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MonikaK
New Contributor

ArcGIS Online does not allow you to edit the styles on a hosted vector tile layer directly as it becomes the
‘source of truth’ when created from the vtpk file or feature service. You’ll need to make a new copy via the Save As dialog to save your changes. Once you’ve created a tile layer with your saved styles, you’ll be able to change that new layer as many times as you’d like. 

0 Kudos
RolandHanssonDCR
New Contributor II

Ok but I'm trying to prepare a tile layer for a different org (account) by sharing the vtpk. Can I link up the edited style with that shared tile layer or do I have to redo the edits as a user of that org?

0 Kudos
Isaac_Viel_Esri
New Contributor

Hi @RolandHanssonDCR 

Thanks for reaching out.

There are a few different ways to share a style-edited Vector Tile Layer and, unfortunately, some limitations.

The first would be to share the Vector Tile Layer publicly from the item page. Once shared, someone from another Org can open that layer, save it to their own org, and then make their own edits. However, the original item needs to remain public for the new Vector Tile Layer to remain operable because it's dependent on the original layer's sprites.

The second would be download the style of the edited Vector Tile Layer from the item page. This will give you a root.json file that contains the map, sprites, styles definitions. The second org can then add this definition to an existing Vector Tile Layer. However, in order to work the original item needs to be public in order to access the sprite sheet, same as the first option.

The third is similar, but instead of sharing publicly, you'd share the edited Vector Tile Layer directly with the second org. Do you have org-to-org collaboration and sharing with the other org?

The final option would be open the styled layer in ArcGIS Pro. There is a link for this action in the item page on ArcGIS Online. This option will give you an item.pitemx file to create a new project in Pro and will add the vector tile layer chosen. You can then repackage the layer as a vector tile package (.vtpk) using the geoprocessing tools and share that item.

Hopefully that sheds some light on the process. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Isaac

0 Kudos
RolandHanssonDCR
New Contributor II

Thanks, that's helpful. The 2nd org needs to be owner. So I will share the vtpk and the edited style file. Is there a way to apply this style other than replacing the json contents in VTSE to a Saved As layer?

In any case, the reason I have to edit this way is because certain symbol props (scale-based sizing with line offset) doesn't translate correctly from APro to AGOL (bug?).

Still don't understand why I'm not allowed to be the ‘source of truth’ for the original tile layer....

0 Kudos