Switches at Underground and Overhead

07-19-2021 01:18 PM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

I have a what are others doing for the Electric Utility Network question.  I have several cases where we have a Overhead Switch located at where an Overhead and Underground Medium Voltage Line is coming together, but the switch itself is only affecting the Underground line.  For example at a pole we have an overhead line running east and west.  They then tap onto that with a short lead to connect the switch.  Then on the other side of the switch is lines going north from the Switch (which is mounted overhead to a pole) to underground.  The switch is not affecting the east/west line at all, it is only effecting the underground line.  

So problem number 1 is I have an overhead switch on a underground line, default rules don't like.  Problem number 2 is I have to set the terminals of the switch and I can't set a terminal of an overhead switch to an underground line.  I was thinking about just adding a rule that an overhead switch can intersect an underground line. Or, are others outlining all the taps of small runs overhead on each side of the switch and then not putting a device where the underground and overhead lines meet?  Just trying to figure out the best coarse here without making it to complicated.

I added two images to this post.  One is the GIS of where we just have the overhead switch on the pole and the underground and overhead is connected to that switch.  The other is a very rough drawing that the engineers drew out for me to explain what was happening at this particular location.  I do have other locations that are not T intersections like this example, but just where an line stops as overheads and starts as underground and there is a overhead switch there.

Rough drawing of location by EngineeringRough drawing of location by EngineeringGIS with Overhead Switch at pole and UG and OH lines meeting itGIS with Overhead Switch at pole and UG and OH lines meeting it

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

Ok,  I will see if I can get my data applied to the Enterprise version.  I read this documentation https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/latest/reference/introduction-to-electric-data-management... and it had requirements of 10.9 so I assumed it wouldn't work in 10.8 or older versions of Pro.

Since transferring my data from Foundation to Enterprise doesn't sound like an easy feat.  Is there a way to model this within the Foundation Model while I work on upgrading to the latest model?  Or is it the Enterprise model or nothing?

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

You should look at the FME Workbench, which can be used in Data Interop.

https://community.safe.com/s/article/utility-network-migration-tools

You would need to update it a little, but it will get you a lot closer.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Lindsey, We are in the same boat as well but with Water and Sewer.  We started with the Water Solution at v1.0 from what I can tell from the change log, but that is often very confusing.  That was created with Pro 2.6 and was a model 4.1.  We then worked to deploy sewer which was released while we were working through the discovery portion of the process.  Sewer looked to be deployed in May and was created with Pro 2.7 which will only work with Enterprise 10.9 and V5 from what I can tell.  This has left us in the same unfortunate position.  Surely we can be expected to maintain two different environments dependent on when a new solution is released?

Are there any workarounds to drop an Asset Package from its created 2.7 pro version to  2.6?