Select to view content in your preferred language

Rebuild Network Topology VS Repair Network Topology

Jump to solution
08-27-2024 12:15 AM
MatteoMagnani_WT
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a doubt regarding the use of the two tools Repair and Rebuild network topology.

Both are used to solve problems related to network topology system tables; but, how I should choose which of the two to use? The first one only repairs an existing topology, so I imagine it should be used to solve minor problems; while the second one completely rebuilds the topology, so I imagine it should be used for major problems.

I would be really grateful if someone could clarify me which of the two tools to choose based on the situation.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

@MatteoMagnani_WT   I would add that the Rebuild Network Topology tool (and the rebuild current extent command on the Validate command dropdown are intended to specifically address inconsistencies in the network topology which prevent the topology from being properly validated and updated.  Here is an example:

JonDeRose_0-1724767184491.png

As John mentioned, these can be targeted against a specific extent of your network exhibiting the issue.   Think of this as a targeted enable network topology operation that rebuilds the network in the extent regardless of the presence of dirty areas. 

The Verify and Repair Network Topology tools on the other hand are intended as diagnostics to identify potential issues in the internal system tables and address these.   These tools do not provide a spatial filter and are run against the entire network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Rebuild topology is typically used after some edits have been made, as this tool only looks are features within dirty areas.  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/utility-networks/rebuild-network-topology.ht...

Repair looks at all features to detect any inconsistencies and it is not using an extent but the entire network topology.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/utility-networks/repair-network-topology.htm

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/utility-networks/repair-network-topology.htm

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

It's worth noting that if all you're trying to do is validate errors that occurred due to editing or data loading you should use the Validate Network Topology tool. Running something like Repair or Rebuild every night when all you need to do is validate causes a lot of extra wear and tear on the system.

0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

@MatteoMagnani_WT   I would add that the Rebuild Network Topology tool (and the rebuild current extent command on the Validate command dropdown are intended to specifically address inconsistencies in the network topology which prevent the topology from being properly validated and updated.  Here is an example:

JonDeRose_0-1724767184491.png

As John mentioned, these can be targeted against a specific extent of your network exhibiting the issue.   Think of this as a targeted enable network topology operation that rebuilds the network in the extent regardless of the presence of dirty areas. 

The Verify and Repair Network Topology tools on the other hand are intended as diagnostics to identify potential issues in the internal system tables and address these.   These tools do not provide a spatial filter and are run against the entire network.

0 Kudos
MatteoMagnani_WT
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for you answers! 

Now I have now clarified the differences in the use of the two tools.

0 Kudos