Multiple domains in a single dataset and cross domain traces

Jump to solution
08-24-2021 11:38 PM
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I have a requirement to build a UN for Water and Sewer assets. This utility company owns and maintains electric assets and electric network of their own (solar panels and wind turbines as generator) to feed the water and sewer pumps. I am aware that I can create three domains, Water, Sewer and Electric along with the mandatory Structure domain in a single feature dataset. But I am not sure if I can trace from an electric device in an electric network that has potentially failed affecting power supply to one or more pumps and see the impact of it on water customers. Is this scenario possible?  Most trace types except "Connectivity" trace forces to choose one Domain to trace on.  

From this blog, it seems possible, I just don't know what I need to do to make this work. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Vish

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RemiMyers
Esri Contributor

Hi Vish;

At this time, controller-based traces such as Upstream or Downstream are regulated by the network controller designated in the Subnetwork properties.  Because Subnetwork configurations are limited to a single domain, there is no ability to directionally trace across multiple domains.   Considering that Subnetwork configurations were designed to represent the properties of feeders or circuits, I would not anticipate the core including multiple domains in a subnetwork in near or midterm releases.  If you have an absolute requirement to build a network that can directionally trace over a combined Sewer and Electric network, you always have the opportunity to integrate the two into a single domain, but I would suggest a lot of testing would be needed to ensure you capture all requirements of such a unique configuration.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RemiMyers
Esri Contributor

Hi Vish;

At this time, controller-based traces such as Upstream or Downstream are regulated by the network controller designated in the Subnetwork properties.  Because Subnetwork configurations are limited to a single domain, there is no ability to directionally trace across multiple domains.   Considering that Subnetwork configurations were designed to represent the properties of feeders or circuits, I would not anticipate the core including multiple domains in a subnetwork in near or midterm releases.  If you have an absolute requirement to build a network that can directionally trace over a combined Sewer and Electric network, you always have the opportunity to integrate the two into a single domain, but I would suggest a lot of testing would be needed to ensure you capture all requirements of such a unique configuration.