Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrating UN from one geodatabase to another geodatabase using a different RDBMS

Jump to solution
07-24-2023 05:14 PM
AnthonyRyanEQL
Frequent Contributor

Hi there,

I'm looking at the documentation on Utility network dataset administration—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation about how to migrate a utility network dataset.

I'm trying to figure out how would I migrate from a geodatabase on AWS SQL Server RDS to HANA geodatabase on AWS infrastructure as well.

The documentation talks about export/inport using the XML workspace document from the dataset. Does this process include all of the associated/logically feature classes (eg. associations, etc) ? This would also be the same of the note mentioning the core copy & paste tools

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree with John that the export/import asset package is likely going to be the fastest, most reliable way to transfer the data, especially if you have a lot of associations. My second choice would be copy/paste because of the ease-of-use but given the size of your database it may take some time to do the transfer. The import/export xml workspace document is a great way to transfer schema between databases, but if you are moving a sizable amount of data, it's not a very good option because of the size of the xml file involved.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Personally I would use the Apply Asset Package tool for creating and loading the initial data in to your Target UN.  The tool is RDBMS agnostic.

I would also start with one of the esri foundation UN models.

Once your UN database is setup and loaded, the foundation documentation walks you through the process of enabling, versioning, publishing, etc.  

The foundation solutions are found on the Esri Solutions site solutions.esri.com

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
AnthonyRyanEQL
Frequent Contributor

John,

We have been using UN electric for the past 2 years in PRD so I'm looking into how to migrate an existing PRD UN which will be part of an ArcGIS Enterprise upgrade as well?

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Then I would export to Asset Package and import that packing using the Apply Asset Package.  In my opinion, that is the safest, fastest path.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree with John that the export/import asset package is likely going to be the fastest, most reliable way to transfer the data, especially if you have a lot of associations. My second choice would be copy/paste because of the ease-of-use but given the size of your database it may take some time to do the transfer. The import/export xml workspace document is a great way to transfer schema between databases, but if you are moving a sizable amount of data, it's not a very good option because of the size of the xml file involved.

AnthonyRyanEQL
Frequent Contributor

Our UN has approx. 15M features with 24M associations. It's the Energy Queensland implementation that was showcased in the 2022 UC