How to Edit Topology with UN

Jump to solution
12-23-2020 12:22 PM
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

I have a water UN implemented, since editing is done via feature service I also have that set up.

But prior to v10.8.1 you can't set the Validate tag in a feature service, the validate tag enables topology in the feature service.

So how does one resolve topology erorrs if one is supposed to edit via feature services but feature services don't support topology layers?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SSMIC3038

when prepping the feature service in ArcGIS Pro......add the Utility Network layer to the map so it enforces the related layers to add as well, then proceed as normal and it works now. Really???

good grief

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In arcgis pro it states

Open the project containing the map and feature service or add the feature service to a new map. A utility network can only be edited in a map with a published feature service registered as branch versioned.

then they show a Validate topology was at the bottom... perhaps it is the same/similar in arcmap

Edit a utility network—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
SSMIC3038

that link only discusses as far as validating topology, doesn't address doing the editing corrections.

It seems like there is a catch 22 here.

Were supposed to edit in feature service but pre 10.8.1 doesn't support topology layers in feature service.

VishApte
Esri Contributor

Prior to 10.8.1, if your Feature Service includes a UN Topology layer at the time of publishing, "Utility Network" capability is included and it includes "Validate Network Topology" operation. ArcGIS Pro simply calls this operation.

VishApte_1-1608765594080.png

VishApte_0-1608765553351.png

SSMIC3038

Thanks for the comments.

My feature service does show the same as your image, the validation capability is present although not checked (and can't be checked).

The feature service also lists the topology layers in the service properties.

But when the feature service is added to ArcGIS Pro - no topology layers present, when 'Validate Topology' is run I get message: Please Select a Map that contains error layers.

When I view the topology layers directly in database, the layers exist with errors in them.

SSMIC3038

Still trying to find a resolution to this - the feature services do have Version Management enabled but there are no actually topology error layers in the service.

I can validate in the map service and topo errors are created but the feature service does not list any point, line or poly layers and the attribute table is not present.

When I add the feature service to a web map the Utility Network layer is present but there is nothing to it, no point line or poly symbols, no attribute table.

When I view the data directly in the database topo has been created, but I can't view the topo in a feature service.

ArcGIS Enterprise v10.8.1

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038

when prepping the feature service in ArcGIS Pro......add the Utility Network layer to the map so it enforces the related layers to add as well, then proceed as normal and it works now. Really???

good grief

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @SSMIC3038 

Yes, you will need to add all the feature services to the map so that the topological rules are added. 

how have you shared the feature layer to Portal to create a feature service?

The Utility "owner" can share the features to the organisational portal to create one comprehensive feature service that can be brought into Arc GIS Pro. 

A future hint is when you next add in the features, save it as a project package, then you will just need to open the Project package and it will all be there instead of having to add all the services every time you need to use the data. 

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038

I think your missing the distinction in my comment. The only way to create the service in a way that worked with validating edits was by adding only the utility network layer and letting ArcGIS Pro enforce adding the rest of the layers in the network.

Adding the feature dataset would not recognize the Utility Network in such a way that allowed validation even though the UN was in the service and version management enabled, but by adding the UN layer itself, which then enforced adding the associated  layers, would it allow for a validation in the feature service.

And I came across this resolution buried  in a thread somewhere.

So, the resolution for this problem is - when creating a feature service with Utility Network add the Utility Network layer first and aceppt when ArcGIS Pro prompts to add the associated layers in the UN, then continue building the service. Don't add the feature dataset with the expectation that all the layers will work.

At least in my case that is what resolved the problem (and whomever the oringinal thread belonged to as well), maybe its a bug, I dunno.

0 Kudos