I have deployed a Water, Sewer, and now Electric Utility Networks. On my Water and Sewer I took the default Network Editor maps and pointed it to my SDE and then published a Map Image Layer for View only for Web Applications (no editing capabilities). I didn't change any of the subtypes within the map, I just added labels and scales. However, when I do the same thing for Electrical the Web Map in Portal is showing my coded domain values instead of the name, see below of what I except it to look like and what I get. Is there a setting somewhere within the Pro project that will allow this when publishing that it would have been set for Water and Sewer, but not Electrical? I checked the share layer window and the settings all seem to be the same. I'm using Pro 2.6.7 and Enterprise/Portal 10.8.1 for this.
Also, the feature layer and map image layer that was shared for editing capabilities with the Electric Utility Network map pulls up the labels correctly in a Portal Web Map.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Check out my post below, it sounds similar. We are working with a Version 4 Water UN on Enterprise 10.8.1. I've been in contact with support and currently have a bug logged.
I experience the same issue when trying to make editable feature layers off asset type. I have gotten away with by doing the following
1. Making multiple services for devices that don't match domains.
2. If it is only for one device that doesn't contain any domains EXCEPT for the asset group and asset type, than I symbology the layer out by asset type. The asset group comes across as a number but the asset type does not. I just then hide the asset group from the end user as this is the only device type in the layer.
3. If the layer contains domains than I just do the symbology based off my asset group and then in the feature templates I add multiple templates for the individual asset types so the end user doesn't need to fill this part out in the field. The only thing I don't like about this method is the feature templates all have the same symbol. Then in the web map I use the symbol button within the map to change the symbols based off the asset type.
However for my situation I'm not editing, just making a map service. I think it has something to do with the subtypes. When I just add the database to a fresh map and publish it brings my domains over, however as soon as I break it down to subtypes even with just a single symbol per subtype it automatically drops the domain codes. The part that is driving me crazy is I did the same thing for Water and Sewer and it worked without issue.
In addition on my option 2 that I listed above the service has Type ID Field: ASSETTYPE, where in the the one with the subtypes the service has Type ID Field: N/A. I want the subtypes in my feature layer as I want the end user to be able to turn on/off subtypes as they please in the web maps I set up for them. Where If I don't break it down by subtypes and just do one big giant device list that is not an option. Or I will have to do some major customization in the web map.
It sounds like we are experiencing the same thing. It is a bit strange because it doesn't work for our Water UN but I walked through publishing an Electric UN and did not experience the issue.
I do have a bug logged so I hope that it will be fixed soon.
My work around has been to publish two services. One map service with our desired symbology based on custom expressions with popups disabled, and a second feature service based on Assetgroup where the symbology is blank for all assets and the popups are properly configured. This way field users are visually seeing the map service but are interacting with the feature service.
That's a great idea, I didn't think of that. If your popups are based off asset group. How do you get around the fact that some fields are called one thing for one device, but another for another device. Like in Electric device the rated power could mean rated KVA, rated KVAR, and rated Watts depending on what device you are referencing. Or in the map did you do several different copies of the devices layer to set up your pop ups that way so they are individualized?
Tracked down the problem with the map service not working after increasing the domain code. Because of the count of domains, there was not enough heap size, causing the server to crash. If you check your logs, you will see this.
If you follow this article, and change the heap size to 128 - https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011736, the service works
Thanks Mike I will give that a try.
I tested creating services one layer at a time and when I add the Assembly and Devices is when all goes wrong and it looses that Field ID. Right now I'm assuming is because of the coded domains not being high enough. The highest I got without crashing is 75,000.
Your a genius and life saver. That did the trick. I increase the heap to what you said above and then jacked up my domains. The service did not freeze up and all the domain names came across like I was anticipated. Thank you for the help!