ArcGIS Pro 2.5: The utility network “no junction edge rule” error is popped up,

Jump to solution
07-22-2020 09:44 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: The utility network “no junction edge rule” error is popped up,

In the screenshot below, despite the fact that the junction edge rule is configured, the “no junction edge rule” error is popped up.

What could be the issue here?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal NUMAN‌ - 

The rule states that L1 can be connected with L1 via D2. However, in the sample above, L1 is connected to L1 without D2, nevertheless, the “validate network topology” tool fails to catch this error

In the case you mention above, am I correct in assuming that each L1 feature has the same Asset group/Asset type? 

If so, this would not create an error on validate or enable as connectivity is supported between edge features with the same asset group/asset type.  These connect via a System Junction in the topology.

This is mentioned in the Feature restrictions topic here:  Feature restrictions—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Valid Geometric Coincidence between edge elements with same asset group/asset type

Thanks,

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Jamal,

Here you tried to add a 'Junction-Edge' rule for D2/1-L1/1. I think I have encountered this before believing the 'Edge-Junction-Edge' rule would be sufficient.

Good luck

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Anthony.

I’m not getting constant behavior when it comes to working with utility network.

For example, in the screenshot below, L1 is configured to be connected to L1 by D2. Nevertheless, the validation fails to catch this error at the marked point

What could be the issue here?

Jamal Numan
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

I agree with Anthony - perhaps the error string is a bit misleading as it uses 'junction-edge' in the wording. 

When creating Junction-edge and Edge-junction-edge rules you need to review the relationship of junction features relative to the edge features. Junctions that are located at the end of an edge feature need to be included in junction-edge rules, and junctions that are located between edge features need to be included in edge-junction-edge rules. When both rule types are present, junction-edge rules are honored before edge-junction-edge rules. 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Melissa.

Does this mean that I need to configure devices that connect edges as “junction-edge connectivity”?

For example, in my case, L1 is connected to L1 via D2. Does D2 needs to be configured as “edge-junction-edge connectivity” AND as “junction-edge connectivity” knowing that D2 has nothing to do if it is located at the end of the edge?

Jamal Numan
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

For the first image you posted - I would recommend we retest with the final version of ArcGIS Pro 2.6. There were some issues addressed after beta 3 with incorrect error messages being returned.

To answer your question: You shouldn't have to account for junctions that will always be between edge features by including them in both types of rules. 

SimpyJaiswal
New Contributor II

My experience  with this Topology error is that there can be many other issues in the data and it gets reported as Junction-Edge error. If there are stacked points; then also Junction-Edge error is reported. When you fix, stacked error issue, it gets resolved. But the good thing is that when you review the errors at that location(Point/Line Error)you can see all the different errors listed. Are you getting Only Junction-Edge error at that location or any other error as well?

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Simpy.

The issue here is the other way around.

The rule states that L1 can be connected with L1 via D2. However, in the sample above, L1 is connected to L1 without D2, nevertheless, the “validate network topology” tool fails to catch this error

Jamal Numan
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal NUMAN‌ - 

In the case you mention above, am I correct in assuming that each L1 feature has the same Asset group/Asset type? 

If so, this would not create an error on validate or enable as connectivity is supported between edge features with the same asset group/asset type.  These connect via a System Junction in the topology.

This is mentioned in the Feature restrictions topic here:  Feature restrictions—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Valid Geometric Coincidence between edge elements with same asset group/asset type

Thanks,

Jon

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks Jonathan. This is very useful and answers my question.

I tried to connect L1 and L2 that are configured according to the rule shown in the screenshot below. The error says “invalid connectivity. The edges are different subtypes and can’t connect”. I think that this means that L1 and L2 can’t be connected unless there is a junction D3 at the point of connection

Jamal Numan