Survey123 Tricks of the Trade (Live): Query ArcGIS layers with pulldata("@layer")

11-02-2022 01:11 PM
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

On November 2, 2022 we hosted an informal live session to go over the new pulldata("@layer") function we released in the Survey123 October 2022 update.  Here you have the recording, the slides (Attached), some links and brief Q&A.

Many thanks to all of you that joined the live session. If you want to submit feedback for this event, or suggest new topics, complete this survey

Q&A:

• From Nicole. Does this work in the web and mobile apps? Yes, but only while connected. pulldata("@layer") does not work when offline
  • From Ronofre. Can I use pulldata("@layer") against an SDE layer? Yes, as long as you first share your SDE layer through an ArcGIS Enterprise map or feature service. If publishing as a map service, make sure the feature capability is activated.
  • From Johnathan. Do I need to federate my ArcGIS Enterprise feature service for this to work? Unless your ArcGIS Enterprise feature service is shared publicly, yes.
  • Tiffany: How does this work with domains? If you query a field with a domain, you will get back the code, not the description. 
  • Brenda: Can I use repeats in the web app? Yes. You must author your form in Connect, then use the form in the web app.
  • Shawn: Can I count the records in a table using pulldata("@layer"). Yes. Demonstrated in video. However, you should not use that to create a unique number because if people complete the form concurrently, you will get duplicates. 
  • Marcelo: Where do I get Survey123 Connect? Download it from the Microsoft store. Alternatively you can get the installer from here.
  • Stanley: This is blowing my mind! 
  • Pablo: Could you please share the Xlsform of this demo at the end of the presentation? Find it attached below.
  • Alain: Can I get the PPT? Yes, attached below.

If you want to submit feedback for this event, or suggest new topics, complete this survey

5 Replies
JoseBarrios1
Occasional Contributor III

Thumbs-up for the Survey123 Team! This was a very good introduction to the the pulldata("@layer") function. The video-chat format, the blogs and the XLSForm sample work great. Thanks for all your hard work and for adding new capabilities to Survey123. Looking forward to what next!

Thanks,

JB

AnaDeniston
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for this development! Thanks, @IsmaelChivite for sharing your knowledge. 

I have been working a lot with survey123 and I have struggled with Pre-Populating repeat sections - I tried to use URLs or Power Automate, but I was not successful. 

Can pulldata("@layer") work pre-populating attributes of repeatable sections?

0 Kudos
AnaDeniston
New Contributor III

I was able to figure it out. Not the most elegant way, but it's something. 
Here in this post, I explained how to dynamically populate repeat sections. 

0 Kudos
JoséDanielGoigocheaPinchi
New Contributor II

Thanks for the explanation.
The reality of the fields in Latin America is offline, please how can you do the same offline?

0 Kudos
HelenaBallart
New Contributor

Hello, very useful information! I try to query a location from a feature service because one survey is related to the other and I try to populate fields using pulldata (@layer, and also autocomplete search function, but I can't find a solution to populate the location. I can't see the field of geometry in the layer created with the first survey to link with my second survey. Do you think that can exist another solution for that? Thank you!

0 Kudos