When will Survey123 support polylines and polygons?

11-27-2018 03:36 PM
TiffanySprague
New Contributor III

Is there any solid information about when Survey123 will accommodate polylines and polygons? It always seems to be "soon" or "high on the list", but with no dates. We use S123 and like it very much, but the inability to capture tracks may force us to switch to Collector, which otherwise would be suboptimal for our work (field ecological research by a non-profit organization using citizen scientists). Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

21 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well this it all true I am not sure this applies to 123. 123 stores all its coordinates in WGS84.  I would think that 123 will do the area calcs in 84 in the back.  I am doing this now with distance.  I take a passed in lat/long from Collector (which uses a WGS84 service) then use radian math to clac the distance from the point given to the current location.

123 does not really have a map - that is just for viewing your location on it.  I do not think 123 would be asking the map, or any service, the area math since you will probably be offline.

All this is my guess.  So hopefully 123 can give us some more insight.

Thanks

RobertThomas2
Occasional Contributor

https://community.esri.com/migrated-users/12477Sulaiman Mukahhal  Now that you can do Lines and Polygons in S123, one could add calculated fields for Area, Perimeter, & Length which would be off, especially for folks in the high latitudes or for surveys that span large areas of different latitudes ( we did a regional survey, 5 states and 11 forest).  Just mentioning as a cautionary remark.  Since we know, ESRI makes it really simple to do stuff, that one wouldn't want to do technically.  

0 Kudos