What's the purpose of the network.xml file

12-12-2016 05:44 PM
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

Does anybody know what's the purpose of the network.xml file within the Survey123 installation directory? I can't find any documentation about it. It appears to be a xml configuration file to stored proxy url & port information along with a username/password.

Is this it's purpose? If so

• How can https be included?
  • Does a username/password required or can we enter this as part of the sign in process?
  • How does the value for 'ProxyType' element work?

Thank you for your time with this

Anthony

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Anthony,

The network.xml file appears to be a by-product of the Qt installation framework which is used to generate the installers for Survey123. This file is created by the Qt installation framework and is not part of the Survey123 project files.

Hence, the most reliable answer to what purpose does network.xml serves, what does ‘ProxyType’ represent and how can you use the file for HTTS configuration can only be provided by the Qt Company.

Based on our preliminary findings, editing this file may not have any effect on the working of Survey123. Although we are still in the process of investigating further.

Can you describe what exactly are you trying to implement in your app so that we can suggest how you can achieve the same?

Thanks,

Anshuman

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Anshuman,

Thank you for your reply. The organisation I work for uses a proxy file in 'Use automatic configuration script' section of the LAN settings in IE and Survey123 can't get access to the internet with this in place. I know by enabling Proxy server and placing the address of our proxy server with port number works. At this time, it's not an option to use so I'm trying to find other avenues to set the proxy server url & port within the application. We are using Survey123 V1.9.24 on Windows 7 Ent + SP1

Thanks again

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Anthony,

When you enable Proxy server and place the address of your proxy server with port number in Internet Options > LAN Settings, Survey123 automatically detects the proxy server url and port number, and uses it to connect to internet. However, there is no way to set the proxy server url & port number in Survey123 itself, as of now. This is new functionality that we would need to add in a future version. 

I suggest that the best option for now would be to continue to enter the proxy server url and port in the LAN Settings, from where Survey123 can pick it up.

Thanks,

Anshuman

0 Kudos