W10 device camera not working with Survey123

11-07-2019 11:47 PM
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi all.

I have a survey that I am populating from a W10 device. When I want to take a photo, the "selfie" camera works, but the other camera (facing away from the user) does not work (see screengrab). I've seen that there are issues with cameras on W10 devices. Does anyone know if this is resolvable or where I can get more information?

Device specifics:

Microsoft Tablet.

W10 Enterprise version 1903, OS Build 18362.418

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks.

Schalk

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Schalk,

What is the make and model of the device? Also, if you check the Device Manager (search Windows Menu or open from Control Panel) what is the make and model of the rear facing camera? Is it different to front facing camera? Are the drivers updated for the cameras?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. It's a Microsoft Surface Pro, System SKU - Surface_Pro_1796 (see image)

The cameras are both: Intel AVStream Camera 2500

Tablet Specs

Thanks for the help.

Schalk

0 Kudos
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi Phil,

The drivers are updated as well.

Thanks

Schalk

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Schalk,

I have tested with several Surface Pro and Surface Book devices we have here in our office, with different versions of Windows and different models, and both the cameras are working as expected on all the devices. 

What version of Survey123 app are you using? Have you tired the latest 3.7 beta app available on the Early Adopter Community (EAC).

Do you have any other Surface Pro devices you can test on?

Phil.

0 Kudos
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi Phil, 

Thanks very much for the reply. Your investigations into this is much appreciated. I'll push it out to the customer and get back to you.

Regards

Schalk

0 Kudos
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi Phil,

We were able to identify the issue. If the image question's appearance is set to annotate, only the "selfie" camera works. Once we removed the appearence specification, the "normal" camera started working.

Regards

Schalk

0 Kudos
Schalkvan_Lill1
Esri Contributor

Hi Phil,

We were able to identify the issue. If the image question's appearance is set to annotate, only the "selfie" camera works. Once we removed the appearence specification, the "normal" camera started working.

Regards

Schalk

0 Kudos
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

I experienced this issue with a Windows 10 device as well.  The front facing camera worked as expected while the regular camera would not take a photo.  This was while using Survey123 3.7.  I had an installation file for 3.5 available so I uninstalled 3.7 and installed 3.5 and the problem does not persist. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

What is the make and model of the Windows 10 device? Is the OS and drivers up to date?

Phil.

0 Kudos