Viewing Survey Data in Survey123

11-19-2019 11:26 AM
AdelaideZumwalt1
Occasional Contributor II

I have a survey based on a feature class in a enterprise database. Users can add to the survey with no problems but none of my viewers can see the data using Survey123 "Data." They get the following error:

The collaborate tab says that viewers can see "All records in this survey."

Why is it that I (who published the survey) can see the data, but no one else can? It is shared with everyone in ArcGIS Online and in Survey123.

I see the following on ESRI's site, but we are on version 10.6 so was this never changed?

I get thI get

"Feature layer views aren't supported for federated feature services and aren't available in ArcGIS Enterprise hosted services before version 10.6."

I called ESRI and got the following response: "Seems like the only way to allow for edits from survey123.arcgis.com is to use a hosted feature service from ArcGIS online." This just seems odd as I can edit the survey, but others can't (unless they are adding a new record). Any insight would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adelaide,

Just to confirm, you are using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6, correct?  Are you using built-in login, SAML/Enterprise login, or IWA login?  Are you seeing this with one particular browser or multiple browser types?

Also, is the survey created by Survey123?  If so, the collaborate options should work; when you  share for viewing, you should see that a _stakeholder view version of the feature layer is created in your item details- can you confirm that is present?  

0 Kudos
AdelaideZumwalt1

We are on 10.6.0 (see configuration settings below). We are seeing this on multiple browsers (IE and Chrome). The Survey was created/published via Survey123 Connect.

I do not see a _stakeholder view version in item details. When I hit save I get "Failed to save," although it does give me a link, which still doesn't work.  

{"error":{"code":400,"message":"Unable to update feature service definition.","details":["Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.","Object reference not set to an instance of an object."]}}

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Adelaide,

Just to check, are you able to create a feature layer view from a hosted service in the Portal's web pages (it should be available via the Item Details page for a Feature Layer)?  

0 Kudos
AdelaideZumwalt1

We don't have Portal, just ArcGIS Enterprise.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Adelaide,

Portal is part of ArcGIS Enterprise.  Are you using an ArcGIS Server with ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
AdelaideZumwalt1

Yes, we are using ArcGIS Server w/ ArcGIS Online

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Thanks Adelaide,

In that case it sounds like the Survey123 website is attempting to create the view, which it can't given the architecture you describe.  Could I ask you file an issue with Esri Support to document this as a BUG to address?

0 Kudos
AdelaideZumwalt1

Why is that? The users are able to edit the feature layer in a ArcGIS Online map, why wouldn't they be able to edit the same data in Survey123? Will this be in the survey123 plan moving forward?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Adelaide,

The primary purpose of sharing with the Viewer option is not to have users edit the results, but so that they can be viewed in a safe (read-only) manner.  The stakeholder view created is a read-only view.  If you want to have users edit results, you can create a web application (such as Web App Builder) with the layer that a user can access to revise.  Having a more dedicated editing role is being considered, but there are already alternative options, so it has been a lower priority.

0 Kudos