View previous year's data and add new data

07-23-2018 04:42 PM
PaulaRak
New Contributor

We have installed forest plots to assess damage to trees caused by porcupines. The plots are numbered and the trees in the plots are numbered with several tree measurements taken, along with the extent of the damage. I want to return to those plots to re-assess and re-measure. Ideally, I want to view the previous year's data, and add new data (keeping the old data). Is this possible with Survey123?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

It looks like enabling the Inbox could be an approach for you.

Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

You could add extra fields for this years observation and flag in your survey last years data as read-only.

PaulaRak
New Contributor

I enabled the inbox as you said. Then I inserted extra rows to add the current measurements. However, I could not publish the survey after adding the rows. After I got the warning that the survey was already published, I got the spinning circle which never quit.

0 Kudos
PaulaRak
New Contributor

I just discovered that I can add extra rows and it will publish, but only if the extra rows are outside of the repeat group. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
PaulaRak
New Contributor

I am still needing an answer to this problem. I came up with a work-around, although it is less than ideal. I designed a new survey with room for 10 years worth of data entry, a row for each year. Then, I can use the "hidden" command in the "Type" column for the years that I am not collecting data at the time. This only solves one problem. The remaining problem is that I cannot view previous year's entries if the data is within the "Repeat" group (tree level). I can view data from previous years only if it is not in the "Repeat" group. For example, I can see plots notes from 2017 and 2016 but I cannot see the tree data from 2017 and 2016. The only way that I can see around it is I do one survey for each tree, but that is just too cumbersome.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paula,

To view previous year's data in a repeat, you will need to configure the query parameter in the bind:Esri:parameters column to specify which record(s) should be retrieved - the link Ismael provides details this.

0 Kudos