Understanding "If you republish this survey all previously collected data will be lost"

Jump to solution
03-13-2024 10:42 AM
beachcamp
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to better understand the contexts in which this scenario occurs. I'm using a couple of surveys in production with plans to create more, and I have worked around this issue before. But it is quite disruptive and disconcerting.

beachcamp_0-1710351673192.png

I have been unable to find specific documentation for this. I know that adding or removing fields is fine. In this case for testing purposes I changed a field type after publishing. That makes sense. I think adding attachments also necessitates a full re-publish?

I would really appreciate any insight, but ideally a full list of scenarios that lead to this issue if possible.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello! Does this documentation help answer your question?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/create-surveys/updatesurvey.htm

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello! Does this documentation help answer your question?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/create-surveys/updatesurvey.htm

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Things that result in a republish:

• Changing field types (e.g., String > Integer)
  • Changing field character limit/length (e.g., 255 > 300)
  • Adding a repeat
beachcamp
New Contributor III

Thank you both for your help. 

That does clarify somewhat, but it seems the official documentation is not complete (for example the field character limit, and adding photos also force a complete re-publish).

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Sorry. That is an odd interaction that I should have specified... Photos/attachments are technically added to a related table. The real thing that causes the republish isn't "repeats" it's "related tables". All repeats add a related table, but not all related tables are for repeats.

Related tables can be photos, repeats, and attachments.

0 Kudos