Unable to Republish/Overwrite Survey

11-28-2016 05:28 AM
VanessaCampbell2
New Contributor II

I have update my survey by adding a new name to one of my questions.

When I go to (re)Publish the survey, the survey passes the checking feature service -  "this survey will be updated without affecting existing data", then I click publish survey

After clicking the publish survey button it prompts the "Updating survey form package" the bar loads blue all cross but the spinning circle just keeps spinning and doesn't load anything. The load time has been going for almost a hour now.

I am using the most up to date Connect 1.9.24.

I have done the normal troubleshooting method close, restart, (re)publish, etc.

My survey is live and in production so this long load time is really affecting my clients out in the field.

I have added/delete a name from this exact survey and never dealt with this issue before.

How can I handle this? I haven't come across this issue on GeoNet, please let me know if this is a known issue.

This is my first post so hopefully this is the right place to post an error/bug  

Thanks

42 Replies
JoshuaChan2
New Contributor III

Hi Shelby

I haven’t received any emails from you before this one – so if there were any others please send my way.

It would be great to have better documentation on what is and what isn’t allowed when republishing surveys. I find the existing document<https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/publishsurvey.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_97A01E11C37D401EB95C7D22EF251F66> on this to be flat out wrong or at the very least, misleading.

I ended up giving up and publishing a new survey, recreating my web map, relinking my dashboard, all the while cursing under my breath

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Josh,

Can you provide the errors that you see in the documentation page?  To the Survey123 team's knowledge it is current and correct.  Also, to verify, you are using the current version Survey123 (2.7)?

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan2
New Contributor III

a lot of things that says you can overwrite will come back with error messages. things like changing drop down lists. it's been a while - i've forgotten the details.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Joshua,

By a while, can you provide a timeframe- this is an area that we improved in release 2.5 (December 2017).

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan2
New Contributor III

about 4 wks ago... but I've had to change projects since then

please add that in the documentation - to never move the survey123 files out of their folder. that would have saved me half of the headaches I experienced here.

0 Kudos
ShelbySouthworth1
New Contributor III

Hi Joshua,

I'm sorry - was emailing with James (I should have been more specific). I finally figured out how I had to approach the workflow for my needs, came in today, and now the signature fields aren't working (I can see them in Survey123, but can't sign them). I'm about to go through and re-create this whole program one more time and then just cross my fingers that all will be well.

At least we've got the process down! xD

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan2
New Contributor III

I'm having the same problem. Similar to someone else on this thread, I also moved the form out of the "Survey" folder and into a project folder. I moved it back. The feature class seemed to have published OK but the form didn't. Just the infinite spinning wheel... Any updates? Has this been fixed? I love Survey123 but I'm not loving these weird behaviours it exhibits. Becoming very frustrating when rolling out something to a large group of users.

JamesTedrick

Hi Josh,

Given how ArcGIS Online works, the folder that a survey and the feature class it creates resides in is extremely important when a republishing of the feature service must occur; in general, this should not be changed unless absolutely necessary.  If the folder has been changed, it is possible to update that information - you would need to update the .iteminfo file with the new folder ID.

deleted-user----ypwdOWHsd
New Contributor III

Couldn't Connect for Survey123 throw up a message, something like, "Can't find the item to update in the Folder of id: ...". I just had this issue and an error message would have been extremely helpful in resolving it, rather than the indefinite spinning wheel happening. Just saying that any kind of error message would be nice.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Kendra Straub FYI. Same problem, added a user name to a pick list, overwrite existing survey that we DO NOT want to delete and republish as new, been looking at this for hours, Windows 10 and 7, no "view" in the survey folder on AGOL. Survey Connect Version 2.7.72. Survey is in its own folder in AGOL, haven't moved things around, using a headless account to publish, and the account owns the survey. Thinking I could just slam the domain changes in via the admin URL, but imagine my surprise, no domain for the string values present in the JSON definition. 

0 Kudos