The existing feature service is not compatible with the survey using Survey123 Connect

07-25-2023 10:20 AM
SeanRourke
New Contributor

I am getting this constant error when trying to publish the survey. I have looked at previous solutions and it did not work. Can someone help me with this error?

IMG_1939.jpg

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hi.  I see this message when I add new fields to the XLSForm in Survey123 Connect for a survey I have already published.  Basically, the message is saying during this current publishing step, three new fields have been detected that are not part of the prior published feature service.  Click the 'Add' button if you want to add the fields and make them available in the survey.

0 Kudos
SeanRourke
New Contributor

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have pressed "add" but then when I try to publish it, it just loads for a long time while trying to publish. See photo attached IMG_1940.jpg

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Yes, it can take a while to rebuild the service layer with the new fields.  How many fields do you have in the survey?  How long have you let it run at this step?

0 Kudos
SeanRourke
New Contributor

I have about 30 fields. It is still loading so I think it has been 15 minutes already and it is still spinning

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Puzzling.  I don't think it should take the long.  I have surveys with more than 30 fields, and they republish after adding new fields in much less time than 15+ minutes.  Try the tool suggestions. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then it might be time to contact Esri support.

0 Kudos
JayHodny

I have also found the 'Tools' in Connect to be quite useful.  I use the 'Analyze survey' tool, to check for coding errors, unsupported HTML, etc.  Also, I have found updating the XLSForm template has helped with publishing issues.  Close your XLS file before running the 'Update XLSForm template' tool.  This will bring your template in-line with the current version of Connect.  I usually make a copy of the survey project before running the update tool.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looks like it says untitled question in there?  Are you missing a name field?  Are your field names too long?  Any green marks in your name column?

Really have to post the form or we are all just guessing.  

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You aren't able to add the new fields to the survey on publishing the update.

It suggests something is wrong with your XLSForm, the fields, or the service.

Share your XLSForm. Confirm if you're working in ArcGIS Online or Enterprise.

And have you moved, renamed or otherwise modified the service or folder survey123 connect created when it was first published?

0 Kudos
SeanRourke
New Contributor

I have attached the XLS form that I am working with. I am working on the ArcGIC Connect desktop app. Once I have downloaded the survey, I was unable to edit via Survey123 online. I have not moved, or renamed the file since I created it. It allows me to save and I can see the changes I made on the survey but when I publish, I get that error. 

0 Kudos