tab through data entry on Survey123 form on PC

07-18-2019 10:05 AM
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to configure my Survey123 form so that folks entering data via the PC version of the app can tab through the data entry (instead of clicking through)? 

Tags (2)
13 Replies
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Looks like you can tab through, but is there a key that will select the answer that is highlighted?

0 Kudos
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Survey123 Geonet‌ can you help me get my question answered? Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James,

The tab key is supported on desktop platforms, however not all question types in the survey can be tabbed through. It is possible to tab text, integer and decimal questions, however other question types that do not have an input box or support the tab key will be skipped.

Can you expand further on what you mean by "is there a key that will select the answer that is highlighted?"

Phil.

0 Kudos
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Philip. I mean when tabbing through on most forms you can hit enter to select a highlighted response. For Survey123 on PC it looks like you have to click to select a response. I was wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut to select a response. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James,

Ok, understand. No currently there is no way to tab through via shortcut key on enter.

Phil.

0 Kudos
ChrisWoodward
New Contributor III

Hey Philip, is there a way for Survey123 to support using tab on mobile platforms?

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yea I second this one.  In Filemaker it actually just goes to the next question for you (and will even drop down the drop down automatically for you). 

In mobile just enable the button to be Next instead of Done.

Would really help with data entry speed.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris/Doug,

In the upcoming 3.6 release we have made some improvements to the input controls (and other supported controls) to enable tab/enter to work correctly on desktops, as well as improving the enter/return key on mobile devices to tab to the next input field. The default keyboard behaviour now uses a custom enter key (on iOS and Android) all the input controls have been updated. There will still be some controls that do not support the tab or enter key, as they do not have a focus box, however this will be something we continue to address in the future.

The next beta builds available on EAC will include these improvements.

Phil.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thank you Phil!  I am glad to see that the UI is starting to get some attention. 

Will it just do to the next field or will there be control?  I was thinking a new column like fieldorder that you could number 1,2,3 or 100,200,300 in blocks.