Surveys Disappear/Missing Surveys

Jump to solution
10-23-2018 06:09 AM
DanaThompson1
New Contributor III

Over the past couple of days I've had a recurring issue with Survey123 . When I open Survey123 Connect, surveys that I haven't published aren't loading under the My Survey Designs page--whether I'm signed in to AGOL, my Enterprise or Signed Out altogether. If I create a new survey and back out without publishing, it disappears. I can see them in my My Survey Designs Folder on my computer (see below), but have no way to open the form. (Also, many of my surveys have been reassigned a strange Global-ID kind of code in the folder). Can anyone help? Editing fields and testing on my local machine is crucial and I would prefer not to publish prematurely.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Dana,  please try installing the 3.1 version of Survey123 Connect, which you can download from Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dana,

There have had a few other people mention this, but haven't been able to reproduce it.  Can I ask that you:

1) Open Survey123 Connect

2) Click the gear icon in the lower left (Settings page)

3) Select 'Diagnostics'

4) Enable logging and then open the file folder

5) Exit the Settings page 

6) Click in the list of Surveys and drag down to refresh the survey list?

One way to solve this is to close Survey123 Connect, rename the 'My Survey Designs' folder and then open Survey123 Connect.  This will create a new folder that you can then copy your survey folders into.  The folders with the GUID-type names are ones that have been downloaded from your ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Enterprise account.

GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

James,

I have had this happen when i use a different computer from the original one that the surveys were created on. When i open connect and attempt to update an existing survey, i get a message that the survey is not on this computer would i like to download it. This is when the GUID-type names are created.

--gary

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Gary, 

Yes that's the expected behavior for downloading a survey from the web - because we are (relatively) sure that the item GUID will be unique, that is used as the directory ID to prevent possible overwriting on surveys that have the same name.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

James,

But then I wind up with a My Survey Design folder looking like the attachment and having duplicate surveys showing up in Connect. Which one is then the authoritative one if I need to update again in the future? What happens if I delete the GUID-like folders?

Thanks,

--gary

Gary H. Bowles, GISP

GIS Database Administrator | Seneca Resources

Office : 412-548-2544 | Cell Phone: 412-334-5273

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Gary,

So long as the original survey has the .iteminfo file, either can be considered authoritative;  I would use the one with the GUID as it should be the most recent (if, for example, you have set webhooks after publishing, you *must* use the most recent version).  

Revisiting the bug that caused this issue, this appears to have been caused by situations where the thumbnail information was not present; this has been fixed in 3.1 and a beta is available in the Early Adopter Community.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

I understand that the GUID is to prevent overwriting previous surveys, but how can you differentiate the GUID based survey vs. the named survey in connect? They both have the same name.

--gary

Gary H. Bowles, GISP

GIS Database Administrator | Seneca Resources

Office : 412-548-2544 | Cell Phone: 412-334-5273

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Gary,

At this point, the only way to distinguish between the two is to open the folder of the survey - as you note, they will have the same name.

0 Kudos
DanaThompson1
New Contributor III

Hello James, 

I've tried the following suggestions, but still haven't gotten all the surveys to show up. Though for the first workaround, I'm a little confused between steps 4 and 5. Am I supposed to just close the file folder after opening it?

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Dana,  please try installing the 3.1 version of Survey123 Connect, which you can download from Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS