Survey123 with Collector: set geopoint

01-13-2017 02:47 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey folks, 

I have a polygon layer in collector to map plots and want to use Survey123 to collect more data to this plot. I managed to open my Survey out of collector with handing over the objectid of my feature to the survey so I can easily join the data later again. I was wondering if I could also hand over the coordinates of the centroid of my polygon to set the geopoint of my survey to have also the survey data in the correct place. 

0 Kudos
27 Replies
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

You can but you would have to add the X and Y of the centroid polygon as attributes to the feature layer first. Then you can pass them using the center parameter like in this blog post. If the polygons are moved, however, the attributes will not be updated.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Michael. But that doesn't work when I just created a new polygon in Collector and want to use its centroid coordinates. What a pitty. 

ZorbaConlen
Occasional Contributor

Michael, can you clarify? I understand I can pass lat,long coordinates to survey123 using the center parameter, but does this actually create a geopoint with those coords or does it simply center the map at that point? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

ichivite-esristaff says in https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... : 

The last parameter we pass in the example above is center=43.567,-117.380.  This will set the location of geopoint questions in your survey at the provided coordinate pair. You must pass a latitude-longitude pair in decimal degrees separated by a comma as no other coordinate systems or formats are supported.

So I understand it as the geopoint will be set to these coordinates. 

WarrenDavison
Occasional Contributor

Michael Kelly

Hi Nicole and Michael,

I'm following along with Ismael Chivite‌ in the https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... and I've found that I when I pass the coordinates from Collector to Survey123 using attribute expressions (X/Y of a point location). The result I get "${expression/expr2}" deposited in a text field I'm using to check my variables. I'm sending the same content as using the 'center' argument but it doesn't update/override the point location of the Survey.

Is there something I'm missing?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Warren,

Attribute expressions are not currently supported in the released version of Collector.

0 Kudos
WarrenDavison
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for replying and clarifying that. I presume this may be something that is implemented in the next release? I'm curious does this also apply to Explorer for ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In Collector, attribute expressions will be supported in the next generation of Collector - see https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis/blog/2017/09/06/the-auror... .  Explorer does not yet support Arcade expressions in the pop-up (it does support it in the labels).

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

Just to clarify, if you pass lat/long coordinates into a Survey123 form using the center parameter, the location of the geopoint question in the Survey123 form gets overwritten. So instead of your current location being used (which is the default), the lat/long parameters passed in are used.

0 Kudos