I have been experiencing a problem with Survey123 not recognizing users as being logged-in in several scenarios. These surveys have been established and working for more than a year, and this problem has come up in the last few months. There are two scenarios so far, and they are as follows:
It appears that there is some problem with the user's credentials getting passed to the Survey123 web form in both desktop and mobile environments, and with different browsers. I've searched the community forum, and have yet to find anyone with this same issue. I did find a thread that talks about a similar problem and suggests making changes to the Chrome settings for "Same site cookies" and "Preloading pages for faster browsing," but I've tried changing both of those settings to no avail. Here's the thread: Embedded Survey123 Web Form works for some but not others . There were two suggestions in this thread, neither of which seem to solve the problem for us.
I hope I've explained this problem well enough, but I'd be happy to answer any questions that may help to find a solution. I can also provide some screen shots if needed - I just didn't have them at the time of writing this question. Thanks.
I grabbed some screenshots of the errors:
Below is the error I get when launching the survey from the web map popup that I use in Field Maps. This is described in item # 2 above. This was actually generated on the desktop from Map Viewer Classic, but I get the same error when launching it from Field Maps.
If I simply launch the Survey123 web app from my AGOL home page, shown here:
Then close the survey123 web app, I can successfully launch the survey from the web map popup and access the survey with no problems, shown here:
Notice the Icon and my name in the upper right of the screenshot above. After I've launched the Survey123 web app from the browser it recognizes me as being logged in and allows me to access the survey.
I generated these errors from the desktop, but again, I'm getting the same problem from a mobile device.
I too, have just hit this wall with an Enterprise 10.8.1 install and Survey123 web form. Sent it off to local Esri support, and will share back with the details.
@TylerBragg2 - just found this on my own -
The new method is to use the pulldata() function, rather than property(). I'll try it and will post back
I was able to get this to work with the new pulldata() function:
concat(format-date(now(), '%y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'),'-', pulldata("@property", 'username'))
Hi Mark, I am having the same issue as both you and Tyler. Were you able to add that to the survey123 web form or were you working in survey123 connect. I am asking because I am not sure where I would put it in the web form.
Hi Cara, I was using the Survey123 Connect app.