Survey123 web app field calculation

Jump to solution
08-11-2021 05:20 AM
Alba_Page
New Contributor II

Hi everyone!

I think I'm missing something and maybe any of you can enlighten me.

I've seen this video of the past UC (https://uc2021.esri.com/live-stream/19775151/ArcGIS-Survey123-An-Introduction-and-Whats-New) and I understood that the filed calculations are already available the Survey123 web designer.

Alba_Page_0-1628684213546.png

I've also seen this Story Maps with the same information in the What's new section (https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/213b214a74a0489dae915ab46677adf1)

But when I try to do it myself the option is not available neither the hide field option.

As I said, probably I'm missing something, but I don't know what 🙂

Thaks a lot in advance!!!

Alba

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Alba_Page 

In case you haven't seen the release announcement, the September 2021 update (version 3.13) is out now. Please see all the details in the What's New blog post.

Best, Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Alba_Page 

Calculations in the Survey123 web designer will be supported in the next Survey123 release (3.13), along with the ability to hide questions. This functionality is currently available in the Survey123 beta website, which is available via our Early Adopter Community.

Stay tuned to our Esri Community blog for announcements about the next release.

Best, Jim

cc: @ZhifangWang @JodyZhengLiu 

0 Kudos
Alba_Page
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot @Jim-Moore 

As you said, I 'll stay tuned for the next release 🙂

Best,

Alba

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Alba_Page 

In case you haven't seen the release announcement, the September 2021 update (version 3.13) is out now. Please see all the details in the What's New blog post.

Best, Jim

0 Kudos
Alba_Page
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot @Jim-Moore 🙂

Alba

0 Kudos
KevinMWright13
Occasional Contributor

Hi - Very happy to see the Calculations in S123 Web Designer.  I see that there is a "Joins" function that seems to concatenate and is helpful. However, I can't seem to find the documentation on it.  I am trying to find out if I can add new lines, commas, and spaces when concatenating fields.   For example, I have Address, City, State and ZIP fields that I would like to concatenate with nice formatting so that the result is the equivalent of:

123 Main Street

Frederick, MD 20152

That would require me being able to add a <newline>, a space and a comma.   Any idea where I can find the documentation? 

Thanks! 

Kevin Wright
Data Visualization Enthusiast
0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @KevinMWright13 

Thanks for sharing here, and we will include more on string concatenation in the doc.

Here is an example to create a formatted address with the line break, comma, and space.

The comma and space can be added directly into the calculation field with join.

Adding a line break is not directly supported in the website calculation, and this is a valid enhancement we considered to support in the further release. The example below shows a workaround method, the line break field is a multiline text question with only line break (enter key) as the default answer.

Ruth_JiatengXu_0-1648177347510.png

Thanks,

Ruth

KevinMWright13
Occasional Contributor

Ruth,

Thanks so much for the prompt response!  I just tested it and it works beautifully!

I will use this workaround until we get a NewLine function implemented.   You just made my night.

Thanks,

Kevin Wright
0 Kudos
KevinMWright13
Occasional Contributor

Hi again,

I have been using the field calculations for a little while now and it is hugely helpful to our workflow.  However, I noticed that you cannot use data from a Dropdown in a calculation.  I find this a bit odd, because it is really just an esriFieldTypeString.  Am I just not understanding it properly, or is this currently a limitation of calculations in the Web Designer?

Thanks!

Kevin Wright
0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @KevinMWright13 ,

Can you please share more details for how you want to use the answer of a Dropdown question in a calculation?

0 Kudos