Survey123 'username' field is <Null>

Jump to solution
01-08-2019 03:06 PM
TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

I have published a Survey123 with a field of type 'username' by which I was hoping to capture the ArcGIS Online user name of the account being used to submit the survey.  Unfortunately, this is not working reliably.  While most of the records in the feature service are submitted with the username as expected, a substantial number of them are submitted with <Null> (no value).

We are using Survey123 version 2.8.2 on iOS (and cannot upgrade any further for now due to our old iPads not being able to run a recent version of iOS), with ArcGIS Online as a proxy to a feature service on our local ArcGIS Server (not Portal), so that we can capture the data into our local SDE enterprise geodatabase.

In my limited testing, the <NULL> values are recorded when users are signed out (in Survey123) at the time they capture the survey data.  Signing back in (in Survey123) to submit the data does not capture the username.

NB:  The users are not deliberately signing out.  They just get signed out by the system from time to time, without realising it.

My preference would be to be able to use the editor tracking fields for this (create user, last edit user), but in this case, the feature service is hosted on a local ArcGIS Server, not ArcGIS Online, and Survey123 submits to it via an ArcGIS Online proxy, because it cannot authenticate to our ArcGIS Server directly.  So the create/edit user is always recorded as that of the saved credentials for this proxy feature service in ArcGIS Online.

Is there any reliable way to capture the username in this scenario?

UPDATE -  I have just found these related topics:

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
AdminAccount2
Occasional Contributor II

Any changes? Still have lots of users submitting surveys without a username.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AdminAccount2,

Can you confirm what version of the field app and the devices (OS/Model) are being used?

Does it happen when offline, online, moving between wifi and 4g, if device goes to background for a long time?

Some improvements have been made over recent releases, but it would appear there are still circumstances where the token expires, and the app tries to authenticate again to perform an action, but device if offline, so token refresh does not occur, which ends up with user being signed out.

Understanding the workflow more and exactly when this occurs would be very helpful.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @TI @AdminAccount2 @RachelS @JoshHabel,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have resolved the issues with unexpected user sign out causing the username field to be null. You can test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds.

Please let us know if you have any further issues with users being sign out unexpectantly.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos