Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 "Allow Location"

11-05-2017 08:30 AM
CaitlinSmith2
New Contributor II

Hello Esri Community,

I recently created a survey in Esri's Survey123 Connect and sent it out to clients after a few successful tests on my machine. People who tried to take the survey immediately reached out saying that their survey results would not submit. After contacting Esri, we have concluded that there are two things you MUST tell people before they take the survey:

1) The survey will not work in Microsoft Edge (even though Survey123 is a Microsoft supported product). It is supported by Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.

2) During the course of the survey, a pop-up will display asking users if Survey123 can track their location. They must click ALLOW. The pop-up seems to occur in the beginning of the survey, and again when inputting information into a repeat function. Also with maps. If the location question is ignored (x'ed out of), the survey will not submit.

Esri is aware of these issues and is working to resolve them. But for now, this is the work-around. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for the information. Can you please expand on what part of your survey was not working with Microsoft Edge? We do support Edge so I would like to understand what part of your survey was not working? Do you have a BUG number?

As for your second point, all surveys submitted via the Survey123 website or mobile app require a valid geopoint (location information) as the underlying ArcGIS Online or Enterprise service requires geometry. If the user closes or disables the prompt to allow location information to be collected, the survey will not automatically have a geopoint location associated to it. This will cause the survey to not be able to be sent successfully. If you include a geopoint question in the survey and make it required, this will ensure a location gets captured by the user.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
CaitlinSmith2
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

Unfortunately, there was no BUG or error number. I just got reports from

clients that when they tried to submit the survey, the wheel just turned

and turned, as if frozen and never submitted. There was never a "submission

successful" message, and the results never showed up in my Survey123

results stats.

I tested it myself in Edge and that's what happens. The survey never

submits, even when I attempt to allow location by following the prompt to

my settings and turning on location. I didn't seem to have that problem in

Chrome or Internet Explorer when clicking "Allow Once" (much more straight

forward than in Edge, no need to go to Settings).

I didn't figure the location issue out on my own. I called Esri support

when none of my clients could submit their surveys and they told me that

users must address the allow location pop-up. So yes, to your point, this

seems to be why the surveys weren't submitting - because people were

closing/disregarding the allow location prompt. The folks at Esri told me

that the developers are working on a way to streamline this a bit. Is there

a way to automate the geopoint location so we don't have to rely on people

to not miss a pop-up prompt? It's so easy to miss. In the case of our

survey, the location of one's computer isn't even relevant. We are having

users type in the address of certain projects world wide.

Thanks very much for your help with this!

Caitlin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Caitlen,

Thanks for the extra information. We have an open issue for this bug regarding Edge and location settings, I have updated the issue with your comments. We hope to have a fix for this issue in a future release.

Unfortunately the location settings and user request to enable/disable are controlled by Edge, not Survey123, and for a location to be allowed this setting needs to be enabled. Other browsers will return 0,0 as the location if the location settings are disabled, however it appears Edge behaves differently and is providing no location, which for the feature service is not allowed.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos