Survey123 Public

Jump to solution
01-18-2017 02:32 AM
JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

I have a Survey and I want members of the public to be able to use the survey and add information.

How can I:

A. Make the Survey Public?

B. Publish the Survey so that the public can use it?

C. How secure would the public facing survey be?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Share survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS describes how to share a survey to everyone once you've authored a survey.  There's nothing particularly special about a public survey in the authoring process, though you may want to think about the portion of the public you want/expect to fill in the survey- what is their language fluency breakdown (English, Spanish, Korean, etc.), level of sophistication (e.g., if reporting wildlife sighings, do they know the difference between a raven and a crow).

In terms of security - surveys currently published by Survey123 Connect by default are published with full editing controls enabled (add/update/delete), though it takes some technical knowledge to access those capabilities (we don't provide editing controls in the user interface, just data submission).  This can be set to add only in the ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Enterprise settings for the Feature Layer (data table) associated with the survey.  Surveys published through he Survey123 website's form designer expose only a 'fieldworker view' of the survey to the public; when published, the default for this is add data only.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JamesTedrick

Share survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS describes how to share a survey to everyone once you've authored a survey.  There's nothing particularly special about a public survey in the authoring process, though you may want to think about the portion of the public you want/expect to fill in the survey- what is their language fluency breakdown (English, Spanish, Korean, etc.), level of sophistication (e.g., if reporting wildlife sighings, do they know the difference between a raven and a crow).

In terms of security - surveys currently published by Survey123 Connect by default are published with full editing controls enabled (add/update/delete), though it takes some technical knowledge to access those capabilities (we don't provide editing controls in the user interface, just data submission).  This can be set to add only in the ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Enterprise settings for the Feature Layer (data table) associated with the survey.  Surveys published through he Survey123 website's form designer expose only a 'fieldworker view' of the survey to the public; when published, the default for this is add data only.

JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Again thanks for your reply James.

So if I want the survey to be accessible from a website and for the public to be able to add to it can I just put a link to the survey on a website to be accessed by the public?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Yes, you could either provide a link or possibly attempt to embed it in the website using an iframe

0 Kudos
JohnMcConalogue
New Contributor III

Thanks for all you help James.

0 Kudos