Survey123 - Public Surveys Questions

Jump to solution
06-28-2017 01:50 PM
AntonioSaavedra
Occasional Contributor

Good afternoon! I have several questions about Public Survey123 surveys.

1. Can I create a survey with my ArcGIS individual account for the public to complete?

2. Does the public need an ArcGIS account to complete a survey?

3. Do I have to use ArcGIS Online or can I use a desktop version of Survey123 and then published to ArcGIS Online?

4. Once I create the survey, each reply will be in Excel format and then I can then export the data to append to master             Excel to create map? (I don't have an online database or server)

Projects:

1. To create a Survey123 for the public/volunteers to enter the location of turtle nest as they spot them. To be use to update data and create map of the location where turtles are nesting. (Non-Profit)

2. To create a Survey123 for Boy Scouts for scouts to enter the amount of items collected during Scouting for Food period to calculate, make maps and infographic about the neighborhood contributions. (Non-Profit)

Thanks very much!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Antonio, to answer your questions:

1. To be able to create Surveys in Survey123 (via Connect or Web) you need an ArcGIS Online Organisation (named user) account. An ArcGIS Individual account does not have access to Survey123.

2. The public (anyone) can access a published survey that has been shared as Everyone (Public) and can therefore you can enter data and submit surveys without a login in a public survey.

3. Surveys can be created and published via Survey123 Connect (Desktop) or via Survey123 Web. The resulting feature service and form item will be created and published to ArcGIS Online either way.

4. Survey data can be collected using the mobile field app (Survey123) which is available for iOS, Android, MacOS and Windows. Alternatively data can be collected using the web app (in browser) or on a desktop computer. The user does not need to use Excel, they can simply download the app or access the weblink, download the corresponding survey, collect data and submit results. All the submitted surveys are stored in an ArcGIS Online Feature Service (database), not Excel, which can be viewed in a Map or exported as required to various formats from ArcGIS Online or the Survey123 website.

More detailed information about Survey123 can be found here: 

Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS or https://survey123.arcgis.com/ 

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Antonio, to answer your questions:

1. To be able to create Surveys in Survey123 (via Connect or Web) you need an ArcGIS Online Organisation (named user) account. An ArcGIS Individual account does not have access to Survey123.

2. The public (anyone) can access a published survey that has been shared as Everyone (Public) and can therefore you can enter data and submit surveys without a login in a public survey.

3. Surveys can be created and published via Survey123 Connect (Desktop) or via Survey123 Web. The resulting feature service and form item will be created and published to ArcGIS Online either way.

4. Survey data can be collected using the mobile field app (Survey123) which is available for iOS, Android, MacOS and Windows. Alternatively data can be collected using the web app (in browser) or on a desktop computer. The user does not need to use Excel, they can simply download the app or access the weblink, download the corresponding survey, collect data and submit results. All the submitted surveys are stored in an ArcGIS Online Feature Service (database), not Excel, which can be viewed in a Map or exported as required to various formats from ArcGIS Online or the Survey123 website.

More detailed information about Survey123 can be found here: 

Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS or https://survey123.arcgis.com/ 

Regards,

Phil.

EzraBarnea
New Contributor

Hello there...

, Is there a reason why public surveys, that require the use of the survey 123 app   asking for username?

thanks

BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Ezra,

In what method are you attempting to access the survey with the field app?  Please attempt the following steps...

1. Have the survey creator login to survey123.arcgis.com and select the desired survey

2. Select the 'Collaborate' option

3. From the 'Submitter' section, select the option for 'Everyone' for "Choose who can submit date to this survey" > Save

4. Select the option to "Open the survey in the Survey123 field app directly"

5. Copy the 'Survey link' and send to those you'd like to fill out the survey

Please let us know your results after attempting this workflow.

KristinaWhite
New Contributor II

Hi Brandon, I have done the above steps for my survey. My scenario is: a member of the public downloads the Survey123 field app and they do not want to create an AGOL account, but still want to access my survey.  I do not see an option where you can download a survey without logging in; therefore, a person would have to create an AGOL account to download the survey?  Is that correct?  Assume that once Survey123 is installed that the person will be working offline; therefore, providing them with the survey URL and having them fill it out in a web browser won't work.  

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kristina,

There isn't an option in the app's UI to download a survey without logging in; instead, the users would need to click a link with the URL to survey (that can be generated in the Collaborate tab in the Survey123 website).  If the survey is shared publicly, Survey123 will automatically download the form and it can be accessed without a login.

KristinaWhite
New Contributor II

Thank you James that helped a lot!

AlexChen
New Contributor III

I am logged in with my ArcGIS Organization account. I have successfully created and published a survey. However, on Collaborate -> Submitter -> Share this survey, I don't have the option of Everyone. I only have "Link" and "Embed" options. Where can I share my survey with Everyone in Public?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alex,
The sharing options will be in the next section down "Who can submit to this survey" from Share this survey.

Cheers,
Chris