Survey123 Populate Field Based on Input Port?

10-13-2016 06:32 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am conducting a fish survey and have a field that contains a PIT Tag number which is basically a unique identifier that is 15 numbers long. I have used other apps where you can auto populate a cell based on the input port. Does Survey123 offer this kind of feature? It would be useful to have the 15 number just auto populate instead of reading them off and possibly introduce error into the survey. I know the barcode field exist which is close to what I am looking for, but no cigar. 

14 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nikholai,

> I have used other apps where you can auto populate a cell based on the input port.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "input port", can you please elaborate?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

For example, say I have a tag reader that gives a number when I scan a tag. The tag reader is connected to my tablet. I want the field to populate with the number the tag reader gives. I know other mobile collection apps can do this such as iForm and DataPlus. Basically, take the value from an external device and populate it into the survey. 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Nikholai,

Thanks for explaining your workflow better. Unfortunately, we don't support this functionality in Survey123 at this time. As you indicated in your original post, we do have the barcode question type that enables you to scan a barcode or QR code to input asset IDs.

Please suggest your enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site: ArcGIS Ideas 

(under the Survey123 for ArcGIS category)

Hope this helps,

MauricioGongora
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

Have not been implemented this feature yet?

We have some tools with RFID tags for identification, and it would be efficient that the survey could read the tags and autocomplete the ID field.

Or is there any way to access via API to Survey123 or using pulldata to extend this functionality to a survey?

Best regards

JamesTedrick

Hi Mauricio,

We have not done any work on working with RFID readers at this time.  You will be seeing integration with external sensors coming in Survey123, but the nature of this is that it will be a device-by-device process.

DavidEastman
New Contributor II

Hey James - do you know if there's any update on this (or any advice on a workaround - app studio instead maybe??) 

JamesTedrick

Hi David,

A custom version of Survey123 could be constructed, but there are currently limitations in QT's support of RFID readers on devices - specifically support is only available for Android OS (see Qt NFC 5.12.5 ).

0 Kudos
JeremyJohnson5
New Contributor III

Could you not use create a cab file that contains all of the information that you are wanting to collect, then setup the barcode question type to scan and pull the 15 digit code.   then use the pull data function to populate the rest of the cells by pulling in the data from the cover file based upon the 15 digit code. This would require survey123 connect to build and publish the form. 

JeremyJohnson5
New Contributor III

Meant to say “.csv file” and “pull data from the .csv file”

0 Kudos