Survey123 performance on the old iOS machine

06-04-2020 09:54 AM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

Hello all, 

My client said that she was not able to open a particular survey on her ipad - when she click the survey, t's spinning then closed when she hit the collect button. Her iPad model is iPad Air MD799C/A and IOS version 12.4.7. (She was able to use other surveys on the same device - much simpler version. So I don't think the issue is if she really could use the survey123 or not.)

I am testing the same survey from my end with iPad mini 5th generation (MUQW2VS/A) as well as my iphone7 and galaxy tab and all worked fine. 

The survey that she has a trouble with has lots of related tables along with 250KB of csv files, 1 svg, and the form itself is 600KB. I am not sure if the size of the survey affect on the performance on the mobile device (but it works okay for other devices) or some functions are not supported under the certain iOS version or ipad model.

Any advice? 

Cheers,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have seen memory issues with iOS before.  I would make sure other apps are closed and that there is some space on the tablet.  Deleting some apps and such may free up enough space.  That may help, but prob just too old.

Hope that helps.

KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Doug, 

Thanks for your thoughts. That's the first thing came in my mind - space. I will confirm with my clients if she has 'enough' space in the device. By the way, have you seen any mobile device specs for Survey123? describing the information what's minimum model, ios, space requirements, etc..

Cheers, 

K

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No I have no seen anything.  In my projects it was dependent on the form.  We could get most forms to load on things as old as a Tab A May 2015 model.  But we have one beast of a form that would crash a number of tablets including a brand new iOS device.  In that case i reduced the number of items being hidden in a relevant and got it to go.  That form takes 22+ seconds to load on a newer Android but just 4.5 on a iPad.  My Pixel 4 never has an issue.

The newer versions of 123 have been much better at memory.  Does the tablet have the latest app version?

I think iPad Airs are lower end devices right?  I know the wifi only ones do not have a GPS.  In the end it may be cheaper to get a new device then spend the hours on labor.  

Edit just looked it up and that looks to be a iPad Air 1st generation - which came out in 2013!  

Hope that helps.