Survey123 limitations!

07-27-2020 08:16 AM
JoseBarrios1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

Before abandon that  the plan of using Survey123 for field data collection, I want to be sure that there are no other options to go around this limitation. The limitation is related to Private groups (Org. account) and public access (Public account). I work for the federal gov. and many of the field information that we collect is working in collaboration with other Fed. agencies, State gov. academia, NGO's  and public organizations.  In many project, we depend on PUBLIC organizations to collect critical data for conservation programs. However many of these PUBLIC organizations don't have the technical capacity and/or resources to have an esri organization account. On few small projects (few external public members) we are able to use a a "collaborator account" to get the work done. However on large regional or national scale project, the tool "permits design" is LIMITED. For example, we have hundreds of approved (permit require)-trained PUBLIC volunteers (public account) collecting critical data for 5 species of endangered sea turtles. We (the FEDS) have the tools and technical expertise but it will be unrealistic to have a workforce that can cover vast areas. Anyway, I recognize that these limitations are link to business rules but since we (The Feds) spend millions of dollars on Lic., I was wondering if there are any options available to expand the usability of Survey123. It is great tool but with no value if we can't used. Thanks for any suggestions anyone can provide!

JB

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you DOI?  If so check out GeoPlatform.  You can get the public accounts if they sign a doc.  I think you are running into security rules and not a 123 limitation.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
JoseBarrios1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Doug,

Yes I'm in DOI- USFWS. I wasn't aware of the GeoPlatform option. Thank you, I will check if that could be a solution! 

JB

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We run our whole field season on it so we can use contractors.  Game changer.  Feel free to contact me direct for more info.

0 Kudos