Survey123 Inbox - Query to filter based on user inputs

01-09-2020 09:31 PM
JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

If a user selects a city from a drop down in my survey e.g. New York, Washington, Chicago etc. can the inbox be searched by the "city" field without the full name being entered (New returns New York, York also returns New York).

If so, how would the query be written?

Thanks in advance

7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James, 

The Inbox uses the text specified by the instance_name to label and search records.  If the field with city names is in the instance_name, you should be able to search as you describe.

0 Kudos
JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

The instance name is just the city name but I am finding that when imputing letters into the Inbox Search Bar i.e. "L", I am getting results of locations that does not contain the letter L.

Why would this happen?

Cheers

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

My apologies,

The Inbox actually searches through all fields. We made a change in 3.7 to not search metadata fields (globalID, objectID, etc)- I got the scope of this change temporarily confused when I was writing my response.  

0 Kudos
JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to have inbox search function only search instance name or a specific field within the survey?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi James,

There currently is an option to limit the filtering to instance_name or specific fields.  Could I ask that you create an entry at https://ideas.arcgis.com so that we can understand what options would be preferred if that would be implemented?

JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

Idea entry created (https://community.esri.com/ideas/17884 ).

Cheers

0 Kudos
JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

There currently is an option to limit the filtering to instance_name or specific fields.

How is this done? I couldn't find any mention of how to limit the inbox search function to only search instance_name or other specific field.

Cheers

0 Kudos