Survey123 Field App: drains battery

07-06-2018 01:00 PM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Using iPAD tablet Survey123 Field app, it drains battery quickly. Please advise.

Thank you.

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

Are you using any external sensors or bluetooth devices connect to the iPad and used with Survey123?

What model iPad are you using, what iOs version, and also what Suvey123 app version?

How many hours per day are you able to use the iPad?

Phil.

AlexP_
by

Philip,

Thank you for your response. 

iOS Version is 11.3.1, model is MF010LL/A (Ipad Air)

1. Without using the Bluetooth keyboard: Survey 123 crashes a 3rd party application mobile while it is supposed to be running the in the background. Also if you do not enter any information on the fields in Survey 123 and only open an entry, if you then use other applications, Survey 123 closes and does not save the open entry.

I tried the following combination which wielded this result.

1. Open Survey 123, Select Route Sheet,  and Select collect. I do not enter any information at this time.
    2. Open 3rd party application, Log in (I have to log in because as soon as I open Survey 123, it crashes 3rd party application Running in the background)
    3. Open an action order.
    4. Went to the address app to look for a random address, select an address and then look at the permits on that address.
    5. Open Safari, load Property Appraisers Page, enter a random address to look for.
    6. Return to 3rd party application It stayed open in the background with the Action Order I selected.
    7. Return to Survey 123, by this time it has logged out and the information is no longer available.

Again, since I did not enter any information it does not save that entry, if some information is entered it will save the entry and when I open the application it will prompt me to dismiss the info or continue that survey.

1. For testing purposes I used a stop watch. The time I spent outside of the application before the information was erased was 3 Minutes and 44 Seconds.
  2. Yes, it lasts the whole day. After a full charge today the remaining battery today- without using Survey 123 was 38%. Attached is a breakdown of the average use of every app today. As well as the time the iPad was on. Today I acutally used my iPad for 3 hours and 13 minutes. All together the iPad was on 6 hours and 55 Minutes.
  3. Attached is a breakdown by percentage of battery use.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the extra information. What version of Survey123 app are you using?

And yes, for autosave to work in the survey123 app and autosave your current survey and enable autorecover if the app crashes, you need to make a least one change to the survey once it is open, if it is opened without any changes it will not be saved.

Phil.

AlexP_
by

Hello Phil,

The version is 3.0 , Survey123

spicergroup
New Contributor II

It seems that Survey 123 drains battery much faster than collector and field maps.  What gives?

0 Kudos
ScottRutzmoser1
New Contributor II

Any answer or workaround for this? We see rapid battery depletion with survey 123 using brand new rugged tablets.  Way more than field maps.  4 batteries to make it through the day. Feel like being pushed to field maps although the forms are not as nice.

0 Kudos