Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 feature class as a related table

Jump to solution
08-22-2016 09:43 PM
GordonSumerling
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello All,

I need to understand how it might be possible for my Survey123 feature class to be a related table to a polygon feature in the map.

In essence I have a farm field feature class and I want to perform an inspection against this. Conventionally, I would create a feature class to represent the farm in ArcMap and then create a related feature class in ArcGIS that is the inspection feature class. Now I could use this in collector. However, I want to take advantage of the field manipulation capability of Survey123. 

The inspector already knows the farm ID so he just needs to perform the inspection with survey123. So the question is how do I publish the survey123 feature class and then relate it to the farm polygon feature class in ArcGIS Online?

Cheers

Gordon

87 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Brandon,

You are correct. I have a primary feature class of the feature being surveyed and the Surevy123 feature class. From what I understand there is no facility yet via this methodology to have a standalone table.

Cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Gordon.  I'm disappointed that it doesn't work yet, but happy to understand your workflow.  Thanks for taking the time to explain it!

Best,

Brandon

0 Kudos
CinthiaEichhorn
New Contributor III

Hi Gordon,

In steps 3 & 4, there is a CommonID.  For related tables to work in ArcGIS online, does the relate need to be based on GlobalID/GUID fields?  Also, for the custom url is there a specific syntax to enter the URL into the submission_url?  In making calls to Survey123 (rather than to the feature service in AGOL), I start with arcgis-survey123://?ItemID=

However, in this situation, I have copied the feature service URL into the submission_URL field.  Then, I deleted the other items as shown in the steps.  When I publish the form to ArcGIS online, Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS issues the message, "The custom feature service submission_url is not compatible with this survey (Feature service information unavailable).   So I am curious if there is a specific syntax for calling the submission_url.

Thanks,

Cinthia

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I am getting this same error too ("the custom feature service submission url is not compatible with this survey....") when trying to publish a survey from a feature service referring to the related table. I have combed through this thread repeatedly but still not found clarification on this, did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ingrid,

This error indicates that the questions of the form do not match the fields that are present in the feature service.  Were any additional rows added to the XLSfile?  Were any of the field types changed?

IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I was able to resolve the issue by following the steps listed further down this thread that involved adding an 'original parent id' and 'parentid' fields as text fields. I am not exactly sure what all else was different before causing the error, but I have got it to work now. Thanks!

0 Kudos
YuSun
by
New Contributor

Hi Ismael,

I found this post very helpful with our potential product work flows.

Quick question, I guess this process should work on the portal as well?

is there are system requirements for the portal version to achieve this?  we have 10.3.1 and I know a lot fixes and enhancements are done in 10.4

Thanks!

Yu

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Yu Sun‌  Yes, the process described above will work with Portal for ArcGIS. My recommendation is that you work with Portal for ArcGIS 10.4. Survey123 can work with Portal 10.3.1, but the configuration is more difficult. Portal 10.4 also includes some important fixes.  For details, please have a look at thehttps://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2015/07/29/survey123-and-arcgis-for-server blog post.  If you need to go 10.3.1, go for it but just be aware  there are some additional steps involved. When working with Portal for ArcGIS, most of the issues people report are caused by the use of non CA-signed ssl certificates in the Portal's Web Adaptor. Please ensure you are using a CA-signed ssl cert.

BrandonKeinath1

Hi Ismael,

Has there been any progress to make Survey123 look at other layers?  I'm confused how I make a table the first layer in ArcMap.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
TL2
by

in Data Frame Properties>General.

0 Kudos