I have checked other online forums and the answer to this error seems to be that a multiline question or a select_multiple question has an answer which is too long for the field. However, we have already submitted survey responses to this survey with much longer answers than the current response which won't work and would like a way of fixing the error without having to republish the survey and lose all existing responses.
Yes this message indicates that the survey is submitting a value larger the field can accept. You should not need to recreate the service to fix this, but will need to work out which field is causing the problem.
A Few Questions
- Are you using the field app or the web form? and what version are you using?
- Have you made any changes to choice lists, i.e. added records with longer names, when compared to than those that were there when you published your survey.
- Have you specified any esri field length values for questions in the survey (to reduce the field length).
- Are you able to submit the survey without entering any values?
- Can you share the survey xls?
We are using the field app version 2.5.44 and the form was created on Survey123 Connect.
No all changes to the form were made before we began collecting surveys.
We didn't specify any field lengths so they would all be the default value.
Yes I can submit surveys without any values.
And no, unfortunately I cannot share the xls as there is confidential information included in it.
I think the problem might be with a multiple choice tick question, would it be possible that maybe ticking a large number of the boxes is producing a value that is larger than the field can accept?
If you can establish what question is causing the issue, go to the service item online and check its field length.
A select_one submission can get long if multiple answers are selected. e.g. if you had A B C or D as names and all were selected, then we would submit the following as a string: 'A,B,C,D'. If the names for your choices are are long, then you could end up with a string that is longer than the field.
You should definately check this.