Survey123 custom URL & Windows Browsers

11-28-2017 07:31 AM
TomSchwartzman
Esri Contributor

Should the Survey123 custom URL (e.g. arcgis-survey123://?itemID=89bc8c7844e548e09baa3aad4695e78b) work on Windows as a link in a web page?

On my Windows 10 machine, this seems unrecognized by the browser to open the Survey 123 app.  Perhaps it is only meant to work from within other programs (e.g. collector)?   

Is there a way to do this? Open the Survey 123 native app (windows) from a browser link?  I realize I can get to a web version of a survey, but that's not what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Tom S.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom

Try: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/90354244a1a64bdca01ccea389923da4?open=native 

You need to add ?open=native  to the end of the url to provide the option to open it in the native app.

Cheers

John

DougBrowning2
Occasional Contributor III

This does not work.  If I have the ?open=native it gives a page saying I need to download the app.  Which I already have as seen in this image. 

If I take out the =native part it opens in the browser fine.

Also I cannot seem to pass anything using &field:PlotKey=stuff.  Just does nothing.

Tested on Windows 10 PC and tablet both from Collector and AGO map.

Any ideas?  

thanks

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Doug 

The page you are seeing is correct - but you should get a message box that prompts you to open the app.

Can you test the url in another browser (maybe ie)?.

Thanks

John 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning2
Occasional Contributor III

I do get a similar box and page in IE but when I hit allow it comes up and says you will need a new app - look in the windows store.  

In Chrome I get the same web page but when I click on open in app the page does a quick flash but nothing else happens.

Same on PC and Windows tablet.

thanks

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Douglas

Sometimes there is the requirement to clear the registry to get things working. Please talk to your admin before doing this.

1. Uninstall all instances of Survey123 from the machine.
  2. Start Registry Editor (regedit), and locate the following directory:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\arcgis-survey123]

3. Delete the arcgis_survey123 directory
  4. Close Registry Editor.
  5. Then re-install the app and retest.

Please let me know how you get on.

0 Kudos
RamiAlyGad
New Contributor II

Johnathan,

I've followed the same steps above because I've been experiencing the same issue with my testers' windows 10 dell tablets. I have tried from a web app and from collector to link to a survey123 form. I have two different links, one with the https://survey123.arcgis.com and one with arcgis-survey123:// which is used for the iOS devices. The survey123 website link prompts the open Survey123 pop-up, but it can't be found on the devices. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I even tried the regedit step, but did not find any directory for survey123.

Do you have any more advice/ideas? Is there a specific location that Survey123 should be installed? The default is in User/applications/. Should that be changed to Program Files?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rami

Just to confirm, if you paste/launch arcgis-survey123:// into a browser on your Windows machine the field app fails to launch? From the above, it is not clear if you are using arcgis-survey123:// for iOS only. Also, can you test connect using arcgis-survey123Connect:// ?

The [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\arcgis-survey123] should be created on installation of the app. If this is missing for any reason, this would cause the custom url to fail.

Also, for your information, only the default Survey123 install directory will work. It can't be changed.

Thanks

John

RamiAlyGad
New Contributor II

Johnathan -

My web map/ web app pop-up has two links:

1. I originally had this universal for any device, but recently changed the link text to be for iOS/Android. On Windows, it just sends the URL into a new tab that doesn't load anything on the page:

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=7f75ac4a47c842cc934421425f54c7a7&field:operating_num={operatingnumber}&field:material={material}&field:subtype_cd={subtypecd}&field:height={height}&field:spec={apscode}&field:pole_tag={tag}

2. After reading this thread, I found the other url scheme that seemed to produce the desired result for Windows. This one prompts the Download/Open Survey123 page, whereas the previous does not:

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/7f75ac4a47c842cc934421425f54c7a7?open=native&field:operating_num=...}

I tested the Survey123Connect URL on my Windows 7 machine (it has Survey123 and Connect), but it didn't work. I am not able to test on the Windows 10 tablet because I haven't gotten approval to install that on the tablets.

I did try the survey123 install again to see if I get the necessary result in the registry. No luck. I will have to reach out to IT and see if there is some kind of custom network config preventing proper install.

Thanks,

Rami

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Rami - just following up on this issue. Can you confirm what browser you are testing the url in? If you have not already - please try Internet Explorer.

0 Kudos