Survey123 Connect - Hidden value type vs. Hidden appearance type

Jump to solution
12-28-2021 02:08 PM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

In both the "Type" and "Appearance" column of Survey123 there is an option for "hidden". 

What I'm wondering is, what would be an appropriate use-case for one vs. the other? Why would you ever want a hidden question type rather than a note type with a hidden appearance? Is there a best practice regarding this?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've wondered that as well. According to the S123 docs:

By setting the appearance to hidden, any question type, including groups and repeats can be hidden from view when filling out the survey, but will accept and submit default values and calculations. This is more versatile than the hidden question type, as it can be applied to any question type.

Which more or less confirms what I would have guessed. A hidden type question accepts any input, whereas a hidden date/integer/text question will ensure that any calculated value is applied as the correct data type.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've wondered that as well. According to the S123 docs:

By setting the appearance to hidden, any question type, including groups and repeats can be hidden from view when filling out the survey, but will accept and submit default values and calculations. This is more versatile than the hidden question type, as it can be applied to any question type.

Which more or less confirms what I would have guessed. A hidden type question accepts any input, whereas a hidden date/integer/text question will ensure that any calculated value is applied as the correct data type.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Josh! That's more or less what I had assumed, but wasn't sure if there was some nuance I was missing.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So, a quick test: I have a date question which is used to populate two other questions, one a date w/ hidden appearance, one a hidden type.

jcarlson_0-1640730877950.png

When I test submitting it, I can see that the hidden date has the timestamp integer, the hidden type has a string of the integer.

jcarlson_1-1640730940067.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is also the body::esri:visible column now.