Survey123 Connect does not recognize new basemap

04-30-2019 07:47 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I need an offline basemap and have been trying for days to change the associated basemap (created with Tile Package Kreator v. 1.3.30, Survey123 Connect v. 3.3.51) in my Survey123 form. I can't get the new tpk to show up in the list of associated basemaps. The old one is still there even though I've removed reference to it in the .info file and have updated the .info file to include the new basemap name and url. The tpk is shared in my AGOL account. I have the tpk file in the media folder (omg this is such a convoluted, clunky process--it was so easy in Collector). When I re-publish the form, all the new tpk reference gets wiped out of the .info file.

Any ideas appreciated. I don't want to delete this form and start over.

Thanks!

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Pam,

Can you please share the tpk file you created and your xlsx file?

Are you using a custom tile schema, is does it match the Esri default? Survey123 does not currently support custom tile schemas.

We are currently working on a new feature enhancement that is currently in the early stage of development, which will allow using custom basemaps such as mmpk, vtpk, tpks and web maps in Survey123. Please keep an eye out for this update once it is available on EAC for early beta testing.

Phil.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Phil,

I know this was posted awhile ago, but I am having the same issue with a survey now. It was an established survey that I waned to associate a basemap with. This is a much easier way to get basemaps onto iPads than through iTunes (which is kind of a nightmare). I edited the .info file following the instructions here. I've done this successfully for two other surveys.

When I publish, there aren't issues. I re-download the survey to my iPad and I can see the basemap listed under "download maps". It downloads fine, but then when I open the survey and go into my geopoint question, the basemap is not listed. I see another offline basemap listed, but not the one associated with the survey/that I just downloaded.

I've copied the contents of my .info file below.

{
    "displayInfo": {
        "map": {
            "defaultType": {
                "name": "World Imagery"
            },
            "home": {
                "latitude": 42.38504118890034,
                "longitude": -72.05909332533498,
                "zoomLevel": 11
            },
            "mapTypes": {
                "append": true,
                "includeLibrary": true,
                "mapSources": [
                    {
                        "storeInMapLibrary": false,
                        "url": "https://eoeea.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f1dc6ff830cb4e388fae116c2c8042b5"
                    }
                ]
            },
            "preview": {
                "zoomLevel": 15
            }
        },
        "style": {
            "textColor": "",
            "toolbarBackgroundColor": "#730000"
        }
    },
    "imagesInfo": {
        "captureResolution": 1920
    },
    "publishInfo": {
        "connectVersion": "3.5.157",
        "webFormTransform": true
    },
    "queryInfo": {
        "applySpatialFilter": true,
        "mode": "manual",
        "where": "Creator=${username}"
    },
    "sentInfo": {
        "enabled": true
    }
}
Erica
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Erica,

What type of map service is the basemap you are trying to add? Is it raster or vector, and in what projection?

Out of curiosity have you tried the new map support and Linked Content options that are available in 3.6 beta on EAC? There is now a much easier way to link maps to surveys, however it will require using 3.6 beta Connect and field app. You can find more information here: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Phil,

This is a TPK that was published to ArcGIS Online in WGS84 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) . To Bill Simper's point below, I just checked the file size of the basemap on my iPad and it is less than half of the TPK's actual file size in AGO. When I remove the basemap from my iPad, it shows the true file size, matching its AGO item. I've been downloading via cell network, so I will find some WiFi and use that to see if it helps download the entire TPK. It is a large TPK (4GB) so hopefully WiFi helps resolve this. I feel like I should have noticed that, but thanks for the heads up.

Erica

Erica
BillSimper
New Contributor III

One thing to check is that the file size of the downloaded tilepack matches the size of the original that's showing before you begin the download. If for some reason the download is interrupted before it completes, you won't get an error message-- it'll look like it completed successfully, but the tilepack won't function or even show up as an option for your survey.

BillSimper
New Contributor III

Pam, I think I know the problem you're having-- if so, the solution is to have Survey123Connect closed while you're editing and saving the .info file. If Connect is open while you're edting/saving that file (a natural way to do things), Connect will automatically cause the file to revert to it's original state, wiping out the extra info you just added. Found this out through much trial and error-- hope this helps!