Survey123: Collect geopoint at the end of the survey?

08-08-2017 11:21 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it possible to collect the geopoint as the user submits the form? Within our organization we have users who open the form and possibly travel a mile or so with the old location and don't hit the update location. Collecting the geopoint as the user submits the survey would be hugely beneficial and make our surveys more robust as we don't have to question whether the data points are accurate or not.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nikholai,

The geopoint location is captured when the survey first loads by design, and it will then only be updated with user interaction on the geopoint question.

A possible workaround, which you may have tried already, would be to put the geopoint question at the end of your survey (last question) and include a note in bold/red to say "please remember to update your final location". This may be enough to prompt the user to update the location before they press the submit button, that way it will collect the last location they are standing before submitting.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have tried your workaround by putting the following:

We were using Cybertracker before switching over to Survey123 and what we really liked about that application is that it collected the point at the end of the survey automatically. We are dealing with a survey that is conducted by 100+ people and i would say 80% of the data we have received has some problem with it due to user error with not updating the location or using it incorrectly. A lot of people conducting the survey are older and have hard time understanding how survey123 works. Essential, we just want to take the guess work out of it by collecting the point when the user submits the form. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nikholai,

Thanks for the additional information on your workflow and good to see you have tried using the note field to alert users. How about a required yes/no question at the end of survey (before/after geopoint question) to ask the user "Have you updated the GPS location?". This would force them to answer this question as it is required and hopefully at same time they would also update geopoint location.

I have also added this issue and your comments to an enhancement request in the backlog, so hopefully is something that can be addressed in the future.

Phil.

0 Kudos
Jean-YvesLandry1
Occasional Contributor

I'm just repeating myself from another thread but I've been looking forward to this update.

With the new 2.5 update you can  pulldata() from a picture EXIF,   what about asking them to take a picture then use that gps point as your geopoint value?

add yes to read only so they can't change the gps value.

EXIF#