Survey not sending if opened from Collector

Jump to solution
05-13-2019 08:55 AM
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Is this a know issue?  A survey that I have a link for the team to open up through Collector (Version 18.0.2.0) after a line gets collected will not send.  It will send if they launch the Survey123 application from the desktop shortcut. This survey only gets used certain months of the year, it work just fine last year.  I currently have Version 3.3.64 installed on a Surface Pro (Windows).         

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matt,

It looks like there was an issue with the login state - both logs have 'refresh token expired' (i.e., the login expired).  I also see that you are using older versions of Survey123 (2.6/2.7) - there have been improvements in login handling since those releases; I'd encourage you to update to the current versions of Survey123.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matthew,

Do you get an error, does the survey open and load the values passed over from Collector? Can you complete the survey successfully but then not send it? Does it get stuck in Outbox?

Can you send a copy of the url you are using in the pop up in Collector to launch Survey123?

Is it only iOS it is not working on? Same url in WIndows works fine?

Phil.

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Phil,

No error.  Survey opens fine and does load the values passed from Collector.  Survey completes successfully and just will not send it.   Yes it gets stuck in the Outbox.  All of our devices are Windows (Surface Pro) not iOS.   Can confirm the behavior happens on all of them, it is not an isolated issue.  I can only send them if I launch the Survey123 application outside of Collector.   It's just an extra couple steps but when you need it real time and multiply it times approximately 50 times in a day it starts to add up and get frustrating.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=2f4aa7ec42eb4a98af38ac5595728005&field:targetWeed={TargetWeed}&field:dateStarted={Date_Started_Text}&field:dateCompleted={Date_Completed_Text}&field:notes={Notes1} {Notes2} {Notes3}&field:chemicalUsed={ChemicalUsed}&field:temp={Temperature}&field:windSpeed={WindSpeed}&field:direction={Direction}&field:roadsTreated={Roads}&field:applicator={AppName}&field:uID={GlobalID}

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Matt,

Could I ask you to create a log file while you go through this process?  Either pre-open survey123 and enable logging per Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS (ignoring sending to console) or once open, exit the survey (saving as draft), enable logging and return to the survey and attempt to submit.

Also, can you confirm all of the fields are filled in correctly from the Collector link?  I see a space in the field:notes parameter; this can cause a premature ending of the URL - make sure that fields like chemicalUsed and temp are filled in.

MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

James,

Attached are the logs from 2 machines.   If I had survey123 pre-opened the survey submits, so both examples are with the second option.   I can confirm all fields passed over correctly, but I went ahead and fixed the space before I ran the logs. 

It is only when I launch survey123 from a collector hyperlink, the only thing that fails is sending the survey.  I can close survey123 and launch it from windows and go back in and send it.  Also now I know if survey123 is already opened it sends, so at least this is an acceptable work around!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Matt,

It looks like there was an issue with the login state - both logs have 'refresh token expired' (i.e., the login expired).  I also see that you are using older versions of Survey123 (2.6/2.7) - there have been improvements in login handling since those releases; I'd encourage you to update to the current versions of Survey123.

MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Well that is odd because I do have the latest version installed 3.3.64, I made sure that was the first thing I did.  So I am not sure why it would be opening an earlier version, but I did just confirm that is what it is doing.  So what was happening Collector was, unknowingly to me, opening the earlier version which failed to send, then I would open the latest version from my desktop shortcut and it would send.  I figured it would delete the older version when installing the latest like every other software.  I did have to uninstall both versions and reinstall the latest, but can confirm this did fix the issue.  Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
John_Shell
New Contributor III

Matthew, 

How did you embed the Survey123 link into the Collector pop-up? What were the reasons for using both applications for your project?

Thank you,

John

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Embed it as a hyperlink including all the parameters you want to pass to Survey123 into the popup.  We have a crew that collects location data and need to answer extra questions that do not need to be a part of the feature.  I use this information in Survey123 to create custom made reports with information required for other agencies.

0 Kudos
John_Shell
New Contributor III

Hi Matthew,

Could I see an example of one of the links that you embed? I understand adding a hyperlink but not how to include parameters I want to pass to Survey123.

Thank you,

John

0 Kudos