Survey not downloading to mobile app after update

08-05-2019 05:29 AM
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

I have a survey that was working great, allowing users to download without any problem. After the latest update, v3.5.176, the mobile app gets stuck on downloading when using the link ("Open the survey in the Survey123 field app directly", see below) or the QR code. It "sticks" when the app has only been updated, as well as when the app was deleted and reinstalled. I have done nothing to the survey. I checked permissions/sharing on the feature layer in AGO with no luck.

Here's the link to the survey: https://arcg.is/1amSva 

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Chris Anderson

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

This is a known issue with the latest 3.5.176 field app released late last week. We have a fix for it already and will be releasing a 3.5 hotfix to the app stores as soon as possible. It should be available by the end of the week, pending certification and app store approvals.

As a current workaround, if you are using AGO, users should still be able to download the survey manually via the Download surveys menu if they are signed in.

Alternatively, we have also uploaded new 3.6 Beta builds to the Early Adopter Community which include this fix. Please download the latest 3.6 Beta builds via EAC and/or Testflight. You can find the latest 3.6 Beta updates on EAC here.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Is there any way we can get the apk for a previous working version of Survey123 so we can sideload it to Android devices? We have several people who are unable to work due to this update.

I know there are apk download websites out there....but I'd prefer to download an apk direct from Esri rather than a third party site.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ryan,

The 3.6 beta builds which have this fix are already on EAC and can be downloaded and installed, and/or side loaded on Android if required. Please use these builds in the meantime time until the store builds are updated.

We should have the 3.5.177 hotfix builds in the stores and publicly available for all OS versions by later this week, which will fix the problems you have mentioned.

Phil.

0 Kudos
MichaelWalden1
New Contributor II

Phil,

I downloaded 3.6.75 to my iPhone X and we are having the same results DOWNLOADING... and nothing.  We are using Portal and Server 10.6.1.  How can I test the 3.5.177 to see if it was reintroduced at 3.6.75?

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

The 3.6.75 build appears to be working today.

While I appreciate your and Esri's quick response, "upgrading" to a beta build in a production environment should not be a solution. I would expect this type of behavior in a beta build, but not a production build. We have a couple hundred users that use Survey123, so hopefully you can understand how bad a bug like this can affect us, and how introducing a beta build that may or may not be a finished product with unknown bugs could be very problematic for us.

I understand that bugs happen in any software, but I'm concerned that Esri's quick release cycle is not allowing enough time for Esri to properly test its builds. I actually spoke to several people about this at the Esri UC this year, and we all share this concern.

Again, thank you for your quick response and I'm looking forward to the update.

StefaanMinne
New Contributor II

I found that the problem exists on android 6.0.1 and 9 .... 

But i do not have problems downloading on a windows device .... 

for me the beta installs but crashes ...... grrrr ....

It would be handy that we could have a link to an older working apk 

We have people depending on this and  planning with other parties .... this kind of bug and the consequences are hard!

thank you

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Stefaan,

We are in the process of releasing an update to the 3.5 release to fix this issue (build 3.5.177 has the fix). See this blog post for more information:Survey123 field app update (August 8, 2019)

The Survey123 downloads page will be updated shortly with new builds for Windows, MacOS and other supported platforms. An update to the iOS and Android app in the stores has just been released, the latest version is 3.5.177. This includes the fix for the issues mentioned above.

Please update your apps from the app stores with the latest versions and let us know if you have any further issues downloading surveys.

Phil.

0 Kudos
StefaanMinne
New Contributor II

Hi Philip

"Unfortunately, Survey123 has stopped"

after downloading and installing v3.5.177 on an Android 6.0.1 Panasonic FZ-B2D

but on my phone an android 9 , it does work .

I would like to downgrade , could you link me an older apk please ?

thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Stefaan,

Is the Android 6.0.1 Panasonic FZ-B2D a 64-bit or 32-bit device, if it is 64-bit CPU, does it have 32-bit OS installed? Can you install and run the AID64 app (available in Play store) and provide a screenshot of the CPU page?

As another test, it is likely the 64-bit version of the app is what you are getting automatically from the store, as with 3.5 we now support 64-bit Android. If this is not working, can you try and install the 32-bit apk from the Survey123 downloads page: Survey123 for ArcGIS Resources | Downloads, Training, Videos & Documentation. The 3.5.177 version should be available on Downloads page by tomorrow.

We have a known bug with some older Android devices that are 64-bit but they do not support some of the SSL libraries used. Therefore these devices will need to use the 32-bit version of the app. We have a fix for the 3.6 release for this however it could not be applied to the 3.5.177 as it uses a different framework.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos