Survey 123 Stuck on Load Screen

Jump to solution
09-10-2021 09:02 AM
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

I have an android user whose Survey123 app is stuck on the load screen that says "We've installed an update and are getting things ready for you."  It has been stuck here for a couple days.  He's restarted the phone - no luck.  He's uninstalled and reinstalled the app - no luck.  I've had him uninstall, restart his phone, then reinstall - no luck.

It is a samsung galaxy phone - I can't replicate any of the behavior on my google pixel phone.  I'm at a loss as to what else to have him try.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KeithBurdette1,

This issue is related to the migration of Survey123 data from 'public' storage on the device, to application-specific 'private' storage on the device. This was a Google Play Store requirement which affected the 3.12 release on Android and all future releases. Please refer to the following support article:

https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000025129

It would appear the migration process is getting stuck or failing when copying the existing data over to the new location. This can happen for several reasons as per the above link. If there are no draft surveys, unsent surveys, existing attachments or other survey data that was previously used with the 3.11 version of the app, that has not yet been sent and confirmed stored successfully in the feature layer, you can simply remove the 'ArcGIS' folder in the 'public' storage location. When you install 3.12 again, it will create the required folders and new data paths in the 'private' location, without trying to migrate the existing data across.

The 'public' data location is: /Internal storage/ArcGIS/

I would suggest to copy the 'ArcGIS' folder to a PC or zip it up as an archive on the device or SD card, before deleting it. Then install 3.12 again from the Google Play Store, and it should work as expected. You will need to sign in and download the needed surveys again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @KeithBurdette1 , I've encountered this before. An old ipad I think was the platform. What I ended up finding is you had to go into device storage, delete the update itself, free up enough space to allow for both update and nominal processing, then restart and do the uninstall-reinstall workflow. 

If this doesn't work, try going in through a web link and browser to get into the survey itself. Sometimes you can have updates through the web browser easier than on device if you are in a remote area for example. 

These are two options that have worked for me in the past, hopefully it will help resolve your update freeze. 

Cheers, 

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @KeithBurdette1,

This issue is related to the migration of Survey123 data from 'public' storage on the device, to application-specific 'private' storage on the device. This was a Google Play Store requirement which affected the 3.12 release on Android and all future releases. Please refer to the following support article:

https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000025129

It would appear the migration process is getting stuck or failing when copying the existing data over to the new location. This can happen for several reasons as per the above link. If there are no draft surveys, unsent surveys, existing attachments or other survey data that was previously used with the 3.11 version of the app, that has not yet been sent and confirmed stored successfully in the feature layer, you can simply remove the 'ArcGIS' folder in the 'public' storage location. When you install 3.12 again, it will create the required folders and new data paths in the 'private' location, without trying to migrate the existing data across.

The 'public' data location is: /Internal storage/ArcGIS/

I would suggest to copy the 'ArcGIS' folder to a PC or zip it up as an archive on the device or SD card, before deleting it. Then install 3.12 again from the Google Play Store, and it should work as expected. You will need to sign in and download the needed surveys again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos