Survey 123 public survey not opening in app via link

11-14-2022 03:09 AM
CharlesHutchinson1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a survey that is shared publicly and needs to be accessed in the Survey123 app to allow offline input. The survey is set to ask user whether to open in browser or app. On selecting open in app I get taken to the App Store/Google play selection option even when the app is already downloaded. On an Android device with the app already installed clicking on Google Play takes me to the Play store where I have to click Open to get the app to start. Choosing Continue without signing in loads the MySurvey123 page saying you don’t have any surveys on your device and no download of the survey is triggered.

The QR code scanner from the My Survey123 page does trigger the survey download. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, changing to survey settings to open directly in the app and setting up another public survey in web designer (original survey in Connect) but same behaviour.

It would be preferable to be able to use the link to the survey rather than the QR code.

Thanks

Charles

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielLawrenceTN
New Contributor II

I don't know the actual root of the problem but have been able to work around the issue by modifying the URL for the survey by replacing HTTPS://Survey123.arcgis.app with arcgis-survey123:// .  For instance:

Original link: https://survey123.arcgis.app?itemID=UNIQUEITEMIDGOESHERE

Replacement link: arcgis-survey123://?itemID=UNIQUEITEMIDGOESHERE 

The replacement link doesn't seem to work with https in front of it, I assume it's simply prompting the device to launch the program which then retrieves the survey. You'll need to go directly to the "link" as opposed to doing a web search for it. 

0 Kudos
CharlesHutchinson1
New Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

thanks for this suggestion. I've given it a try but am having issues with the updated URL being recognised as a hyperlink in emails when I send it. Copying and pasting into the browser just returns a search result on Survey123. I've tried embedding it in word doc where the hyperlink is active but long clicking and selecting open link fails with message along the lines of 'There's no web browser installed for this user profile.'

When you've modified your hyperlink how are users then accessing it?

Thanks 

Charles

0 Kudos
DanielLawrenceTN
New Contributor II

Hi Charles,

I experienced the same problem with the hyperlink not being recognized. I am using the same workaround that you tried - inserting the hyperlink in Word or email by going to the "add link" button. This has worked for our folks, but it gives a pop-up warning that Microsoft Office has identified a potential security concern. We instruct folks to click that they wished to continue to the link despite that warning. This then automatically opens Survey123, but only if they already have the program installed on their computer. When sharing the link with a person that does not already have survey123, we ask them to first download and install the program from the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH5WMRR . 

We are all running Windows 10 and mostly use Microsoft Edge or Chrome as our browser. 

0 Kudos