Survey 123 error "Failed to Submit." details "-unable to complete operation."

04-06-2018 01:28 PM
joshjones
New Contributor III

I have a Survey123 survey that has collected over 1000 responses from the public over the last month and I am seeing intermittent issues with the form, I keep seeing the error message "Failed to Submit." and under details it just says "-unable to complete operation." any help would be much appreciated. This is really not a very helpful error message.  Not sure what to do with it.

4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Josh,

There can be a number of causes for this error message; this is probably most easily addressed via Esri Support.  

0 Kudos
joshjones
New Contributor III

Yeah, I have a ticket in but have not heard anything yet.  Was hoping someone might have some ideas in the meantime. Just tired of explaining how sorry I am that it doesn't work and that I don't know how to fix it yet.   

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can get a jump start by creating a log file during submission.  See Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS - you don't necessarily need an AppStudio console; turning on logging without a console selected (or the 'searching for consoles' circle still showing) will log to a file.  Turn on logging and attempt to submit the data.  Then you will need to retrieve the log file:

• Windows: C:\Users\<username>\ArcGIS\AppStudio\logs
  • Mac: ~/ArcGIS/AppStudio\logs
  • Android: /ArcGIS/AppStudio/logs
  • iOS: Connect the device to a computer with iTunes.  In iTunes, click on the device's icon and then Click on File Sharing (used to be Apps) no the sidebar.  From the list of apps, select Survey123 (this is the second list if you have 2 list of apps).  Select the 'ArcGIS' folder that appears in the list of files to the right.  Click 'Save to...' to export the folder.  You will then find the log file in ArcGIS/AppStudio/logs.  This is also the procedure to try to submit teh data from another device; see Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

The log file should have the submission error towards the bottom of the file; depending on the exact error, there might be a more detailed message that explains what the issue is.

joshjones
New Contributor III

thanks, ill give this a go.

0 Kudos