survey 123 and linked content

03-12-2020 12:28 AM
Leon_Reynolds
New Contributor

I have published a new survey form and I wanted to link this to a web map to asset information related to the survey/data collection. I published the survey form to our online ArcPortal account. 

I then connected the web map through settings/linked content route but when I access the map element of my survey form I cannot see the web map?

Has anyone else had similar issues.  I really need to link the web map asset data to this survey to make it truly valuable. 

8 Replies
LeighDurland
New Contributor III

we are having issues where we have a linked web map and it is so slow loading that it is unusable on a device. its a little faster loading on the desktop version but not much better. at least i know it is there and correct where on the device it looks like it does nothing. 

the map loads fine in collector but not S123. tried several maps thinking that it may be a layer or basemap that is in the map but nope. tried just with the standard world imagery and same thing. so it appears that there is soemthing with s123 and loading webmaps. 

we are also using portal. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Leon and Leigh,

What version of Survey123 are you using and on what devices (make/model)?

When you first open the survey on the device, please make sure you pause on the survey info page (the one that shows the Collect button) until the search progress animation finishes. This process is loading the associated web maps and linked content from your AGO organisation. This must complete successfully before the survey is opened so that the linked content is cached and available for use in the geopoint question.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
LeighDurland
New Contributor III

version of S123 is 3.7.57, running on ipad air2

I have my default set to the cutom webmap basemap. i deleted the survey and downloaded it again to start fresh. open the survey pause as you state and the search animation lasts a second. open collect and map is loaded as it should.  go into map and move around to see if everything is there (slow loading of features is noticed.) close the survey. start a new survey and map dosent load this time. close out of survey 123 and open survey, wait, collect, map loads fine, features load after sometime. close survey, start new survey everything appears fine.

however i am also going to a dead zone and need an offline map. download offline map. start new survey, online map loads, all features dont load but the basemap does. switch to offline basemap and it loads just fine. (still online though). close survey start a new one and offline map is still there. switch back to online basemap and it dosent load. close survey start a new one an online basemap does not load. close survey123 open survey and online basemap loads fine except it does take sometime to load all features. try switch back and forth between offline and online and now everything appears fine. 

hard to troubleshoot exactly whats going on but killing s123 does seem to help if there are loading issues. maybe its the older ipad?  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Leigh,

It appears as if you are encountering network or memory issues on the device you are using. For the custom web map to be loaded successfully, you will need good network connection, and the more layers and data you have in your webmap the longer it will take to load, and also the memory on the device will also need to be suitable.

Have you been able to test on a desktop or another device, to see if you see the same issues?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
LeighDurland
New Contributor III

I tried desktop version and same issue. i originally had my basaemap set to offline then i changed it to online and it would not load. i cancelled out of survey tried again and same results. when back to main s123 screen then to survey info screen and same results. finally closed out of S123 all together and it worked as it should. 

I also tested filtering out some features in some of my layers and that does improve performance but not much. total features before filter = 6000 total features after filter = 50. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Leigh,

Can you further explain what you mean by this comment:

"i originally had my basaemap set to offline then i changed it to online"

Did you have an offline basemap loaded on the device which was set as default, and then inside the geopoint question on the detailed map view, you selected the basemap chooser, and selected a web map? Is that when it does not load? Do you have network connectivity at that time or have you witched between online and offline connectivity since the app was open?

Phil.

0 Kudos
LeighDurland
New Contributor III

NOTE: This email chain appears to contain email from outside Golder

Sorry for the poor explanation So I didn’t have the offline basemap set as default but I did select it and then switched back to the online custom basemap. Yes there was constant connectivity to internet(I did not turn on and off the connection). The more I think about it the problems seem to arise when I am switching between basemaps. Either esri standard or custom.

Leigh Durland

Senior Information Management Consultant

Golder Associates Ltd.

2800, 700 - 2nd Street SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2P 2W2

T: +1 403 299 5600 | 😧 +1 (403) 532-5735 | golder.com<http://www.golder.com/>

LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/golder/> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/golderassociates/> | Facebook<https://facebook.com/golderassociates/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/GolderAssociate/>

Work Safe, Home Safe

This email transmission is confidential and may contain proprietary information for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. Any use, distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. Electronic media is susceptible to unauthorized modification, deterioration, and incompatibility. Accordingly, the electronic media version of any work product may not be relied upon.

Golder and the G logo are trademarks of Golder Associates Corporation

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for the additional information. Yes sounds like an issue switching basemaps, rather than the type of basemap.

As "Standard map types" including web maps is still a beta feature, some of these issues are harder to diagnose and resolve and are a work in progress. We are currently working on further improvements and changes to "Standard map types" so it can become fully supported, and no longer a beta feature. Once we have the next round of beta builds available on the Early Adopter Community you will be able to test them out to see if the issue you have is fixed.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos