Select to view content in your preferred language

Suddenly images too large to upload to survey

Thursday
ShelbyZelonisRoberson
Occasional Contributor III

I have a survey published via Connect to a feature service in my SQL Server Enterprise gdb. Users have been submitted records to the survey, including images taken with their iPhones and Androids, for months.

Yesterday, a user who has been using his same phone to collect survey data and photos for months was suddenly hit with the error upon submission: "Error performing upload operation, File size or type not supported for this service".

He was able to submit when taking screenshots of the photos and uploading those. 

Why would this suddenly be a problem if the workflow has not changed? Is there a setting I can change or have users change? We have 1,000+ officers we are about to deploy this to and I can't have it be a reoccurring problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When this happened to us it was users uploading screen shots of the image instead of the actual image.  Could that be the case?

0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson
Occasional Contributor III

No it's the opposite - it works when he takes a screenshot of the images that failed to upload. So I'm assuming it's a size problem but why all the sudden with the same phone and same survey?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this user iphone?  I wonder if a iOS update changed the photo type to HEIF (High Efficiency Image File Format) for photos.  Those are .heif I think and will not upload.  Check the camera settings in the device and change to Most Compatible if its on High efficiency.  Has happened to us.

0 Kudos
najeebhall
New Contributor III

I am having this same issue being reported in my business, screenshot below. Thinking it might be a bug in the lastest survey123 release but im not sure...

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-27 at 11.20.25 AM.jpeg

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @ShelbyZelonisRoberson @najeebhall

For the records that are failing to send, if you open your form underneath the image it may display the name with the file extension of the image. Something like "<image_question_name>_<timestamp>.EXIF".

If the image extension is .EXIF this is a known issue with the 3.20 release and is logged as BUG-000168671. This issue should only happen on iOS devices. For the time being to work around the issue in the iOS settings for the camera capture formats change the setting from "High efficiency" to "Most Compatible" 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos