Stylus use on a survey

Jump to solution
03-01-2019 03:53 PM
deleted-user-j8u2waHrLNX3
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I am currently putting a form together to be used in the field and I was asked if it would be possible to take notes using a stylus. The field workers have had troubles in the past taking notes in the middle of bad weather and being able to use a stylus would make things much easier. I have tested a form on a Panasonic FZ-A2 toughpad tablet but it has not worked. Is there anyway that this can be changed?

Thanks for the help,

Darren

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Darren,

Would you like your field workers to be able to enter text using a handwriting input on the screen instead of a keyboard? This can be done using a custom keyboard on your mobile device. There are a number of free and paid keyboards for Android and iOS so please do some research to find one that suits you. Alternatively, if you're just wanting a sketch type interface you can just choose the 'image' question type with a 'draw' appearance. This just saves the sketch as an image so data analysis is limited. By default this has the smart draw and annotate options turned on, so you may want to turn these off.

Brett

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Darren,

Would you like your field workers to be able to enter text using a handwriting input on the screen instead of a keyboard? This can be done using a custom keyboard on your mobile device. There are a number of free and paid keyboards for Android and iOS so please do some research to find one that suits you. Alternatively, if you're just wanting a sketch type interface you can just choose the 'image' question type with a 'draw' appearance. This just saves the sketch as an image so data analysis is limited. By default this has the smart draw and annotate options turned on, so you may want to turn these off.

Brett